Bootcamp Win7x64 2011 iMac i5 12g Ram HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AdamSubach, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AdamSubach macrumors member

Heres the deal. I've been trying and trying to get win7x64 to work on my 2011 27 iMac for a couple of days now and still can't seem to figure it out.

Process:

1) Add Partition

2) Install Win7x64

3) Installed Bootcamp drivers

4) Restarted to finish up installs!

5) Boots! Everything seems to be great!

6) 10 secs later... Blue Screen. Restart. Repeat.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I tried installing SP1 before Bootcamp drivers but still noting :/

Thanks Mates for reading!

-Adam

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wipe and reinstall?

3. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

Tried that 4x :/

It boggles me! I've tried to install Bootcamp drivers 3.0/3.1/3.2 and still no luck! I've booted into my Bootcamp partition from Parallel and it works just fine but I only get the Bluescreen when I actually boot into the partition.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Have you researched the error code you get in the blue screen?

5. Mashuri macrumors member

What source DVD are you using for Win 7 64? Is it a standard retail DVD or an OEM one like, for example, Dell includes with their systems?

6. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a OEM copy with just the OS and only the OS. I believe it's win7x64 final release. As for the Bluescreen it flashes only for a couple of seconds and it restarts and repeats.

7. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

With 12Gb of memory, I guess you added additional ram to the imac? Why no remove the added ram and try install Windows again, it could be 1 or more stick of ram are not working properly.

8. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

9. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

Okay soo I removed the 8gigs of upgraded ram leavingt the original sticks and still the infamous Bluescreen :[

Any other ideas anyone?

-Adam

10. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Run an Apple Hardware Test in extended mode (insert restore DVD that came with iMac, restart and hold down the 'D' key).

I say this because Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x64 SP1 run just fine under Boot Camp. I'm betting on the original memory causing errors.

11. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

What does the BSoD say? The error code there can be useful.

12. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

Still no luck! Memory and all other hardware seems to be A-Okay!

--------------------------------------

Heres the error code:0x00000034

New info that I don't know if it would effect anything.

Running:

* Mac OS X Lion Preview 4

* Full HDD is Encrypted "New feature in Lion"

-Adam

13. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

You're running a beta operating system and a beta version of Boot Camp. If you want stability, don't expect it from Beta releases. This is not a problem with your iMac, this is a problem with software that still has bugs.

Is the full HD encrypted, or just the OS X system partition? I'm guessing the latter, not the former. Usually if you want full disk encryption, you buy a hard disk that supports it in hardware. I've never seen good results with encryption that isn't native to the OS (TrueCrypt, I'm looking at you).

Regardless, STOP 0x34 is the filesystem cache manager complaining. This means initialization of windows failed in phase 1 (of phase 4) of the boot process. If indeed all partitions are encrypted, this is the problem -- encrypt only the OS X System Partition with FileVault, and use Windows BitLocker on the NTFS partition.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

Almost certainly, the HFS driver installed with the Boot Camp drivers is choking on the encrypted disk. Probably worth filing a bug, assuming you're using Lion legitimately.

15. AdamSubach thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant! Decrypted my HDD and Windows booted up and was completely stable!

The analogue for the problem is like a ton of Legos boxed up and you're the only one who knows how to remove the bricks "OS X". But! when friends come over to play they can't play with the legos because they don't know how to open the box "BootCamp". So they leave crying :)

Thanks for the help guys! I'll also report this to Apple because this could potentially be a major bug.

-Adam