Bootcamp, WinClone, iPartition. Fun.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by llirik, Dec 12, 2011.

1. llirik macrumors member

llirik

So,

I haven't had a use for my bootcamp for ages now, so put it into an external. Now I find that I may actually start to use it a bit, but obviously booting off an external isn't really going to work.

My machine is a Mac Pro, and essentially what i want is this:

Take a clone of my bootcamp (done with WinClone, recent "Hacked" version)... and put it onto a partition on a drive in one of my bays. I've tried a bunch of things so far, with no luck. The furthest I got was I can select windows... but then it just hangs on the screen with the underscore and no more.

The Drive I'm trying to put the clone onto is a 2TB one, with about a terrabyte already used. The recent method I was going to try was use Bootcamp assistant to partition the drive for me, and then clone to it (or worst case, just do a fresh install)... but... the assistant won't allow me to change anything on the drive as it's already been partition by something else. So my question is this:

How can change the boot record or whatever it is so that boot camp assistant can partition the drive for me, and I can have another attempt at using Winclone?

Also, any other tips for this?

My main drive is an SSD... so windows isn't going on there. 2nd and 3rd drives are Workflow only drives, and 4th has a TB of media on it where I want to put 500gb onto for the win partition (it was previously 250gb on the external).

Thanks,

2. llirik thread starter macrumors member

llirik

Oh, seems I forgot to mention that the windows partition is Windows 7, 64bit.

Even if I can't clone... I currently seem to not have the option to just install fresh as boot camp assistant is being a monkey. At the least, I'd like to get this ability working.