Bootcamp Windows 7 ISO Problems!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crovali, Jan 21, 2013.

1. crovali macrumors member

I've been trying to get a Windows 7 ISO thumb drive for awhile now. I've read many threads on forums and guides on many websites. Most of them say exactly the same things on how to get an ISO file of my Windows 7 DVD onto a thumb drive. Every one of my attempts have failed. I don't understand why it won't work! All I want is my iMac to dual boot Windows and Mac OSX. Someone please help!

I own a copy of the Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD. I have downloaded the Windows 7 USB DVD tool onto my friend's PC to try to get the ISO onto my 8 GB thumb drive. Since the DVD doesn't actually have an ISO file I need to create one. I did that using ImgBurn. When I fire up the USB DVD tool and select that ISO file, the program tells me that it is an invalid file and it cannot continue. I have also downloaded an ISO file of Windows 7 from an online distributor (digitalrivercontent) and this failed to work as well. WTF. I have spoken to Senior Advisors at Apple CS and Microsoft CS and both of them have not been able to help. How the hell do I get an ISO file of Windows 7 Home Premium onto my thumb drive so that I can stick it into my new optical drive-less iMac, run bootcamp, and install this crap??!

2. leman macrumors 604

Start Bootcamp Assistant, select 'create bootable USB key' (or something like that, don't remember the exact wording), choose the Windows ISO - you are done.

3. crovali thread starter macrumors member

I've done that before with the ISO that I downloaded online, twice. It didn't work before, but I'll try it again with the ISO I created with ImgBurn. If this doesn't work....

4. leman macrumors 604

It worked for me and everybody else, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work for you. What kind of image did you download? Are we talking about an original image from Microsoft or some torrent copy? Note that a non-standard custom ISO is not guarantied to work with Bootcamp Assistant as it may not be able to recognise it properly.

5. crovali thread starter macrumors member

I spoke with Microsoft CS and they emailed me a Windows download link. The first one they sent me was a 32 bit which didn't work. Accident I guess. The second time they sent the right 64 bit but for some reason the boot camp assistant would not accept it. So then I decided to buy the DVD and create an ISO myself. Customer Service told me to use that USB DVD tool program to create a bootable Windows 7 USB drive. I ran into problems with that. It didn't seem to work. Now at this point I'm getting pretty pissed, so I decide to post on here. After getting the first response it hit me...can't I just copy and paste the ISO file onto my thumb drive and then transfer it to my Mac? Could it be that simple? Of course it was. It worked. Bootcamp is working it's magic as I type this...though the progress bar seems to have stopped on the "Copying Windows Files" stage. Hopefully it didn't freeze. Thanks for the help guys!