Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I installed Windows 7 today and installed it using Boot Camp Assistant, but it did not let me install drivers and cannot connect to internet. I can't right click, change brightness, sound (with keys), and a few other things. Do I need to delete it? Am I out 200 dollars???

stooley

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
I installed Windows 7 today and installed it using Boot Camp Assistant, but it did not let me install drivers and cannot connect to internet. I can't right click, change brightness, sound (with keys), and a few other things. Do I need to delete it? Am I out 200 dollars???

Did you download the windows support software when prompted in the Boot Camp Assistant? That is what you need to install all of the drivers.

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
It never gave me the option. I know how its supposed to be because I watched a tutorial on how to set it up, but a lot of stuff was missing from the setup.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I think windows 7 is only supported if you have snow leopard. So you need a snow leopard disc. After windows is installed, insert the snow leopard dvd and the either run the autorun installer or double click the dvd icon in windows explorer and find the setup.exe file for the correct version x86 or x64 bit.

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I think windows 7 is only supported if you have snow leopard. So you need a snow leopard disc. After windows is installed, insert the snow leopard dvd and the either run the autorun installer or double click the dvd icon in windows explorer and find the setup.exe file for the correct version x86 or x64 bit.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!!!!!

Drivers are now installed :D :D :D :D

One more thing and I'll all good. Whenever I start up, it goes straigt to windows. Can I make it start up on mac as default?

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
It looks like I was a bit too late posting this response to your question as you already fixed it. However this is useful to know dealing with windows and windows drivers problems if they occur.

Ok this may get complicated but relax and get ready to spend some time learning about the fun world of Windows.

Heres what you need to do.

Restart the computer in Windows mode and do the following steps when you get to your windows desktop screen.

Get a CAT5 or CAT5e cable( RJ 45 network cable) and plug it into the ethernet /LAN port on your Mac, and plug the other end into one of the LAN /ethernet ports on your wireless router. You should get a message saying something like "Windows found new software/ drivers....installing new drivers........ It may ask you to restart your computer after it does this. If it does restart in windows and do the following:

1. After restart go to the start menu on the bottom left corner of your screen and click it. Then select "Computer" and right click that.

2.A little window should pop up that gives you the options"Open" Manage" etc etc etc"Properties" Select "Manage"

3.This brings up the Windows computer "Management Application" window. In the left pane find and select "Computer Management" if you dont see that expand the "System Tools" in the left pane and you should now see that underneath as an option.

4.In the middle pane of this you should see"Network adapters" you want to expand that and select the Wireless Network Adapter". Right click this until you get that pop out window again and select properties.

5. You should now be staring at another window with tabs saying "General" Advanced" "Driver" Details" and so on. Select "Driver"

6. Select "Update driver" in the new window and choose "search automatically for updated software"

It should now look for the drivers online through windows update and ask you once it finds something like "Found driver update for__________ would you like to install device driver?

Do that and it will probably ask you to restart your computer to finish the installation.

If this doesn't work you there are still other ways to force windows to accept drivers from another disk.

Attachments

• comp managementwin701.jpg
    comp managementwin701.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 76
  • win7compmanagement03.jpg
    win7compmanagement03.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
  • win7wireless prop1.jpg
    win7wireless prop1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 68
  • wireless update win 7 pt2.jpg
    wireless update win 7 pt2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
^This advice will by very helpful if I ever lose my disks... which I probably will ;)

Also, anyone know how to make Mac side default for startup?

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
also, anyone know how to make Mac side default for startup?

I am certainly no expert but I have been running a dual boot (windows Xp then Windows 7) on my Mac for about 3 years.

In my scheme of things that:

-if you shutdown or restart your Mac while in Snow Leopard, it will by default start up in Mac.
-If you restart your mac while in Windows it will by default startup in Windows

The option is always given that on any startup, you can hold down the "option" key and it will give you a choice of whether to select Mac or Windows at that moment when starting up.

Hope that answers you question.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
^This advice will by very helpful if I ever lose my disks... which I probably will ;)

Also, anyone know how to make Mac side default for startup?

There's a "Startup Disk" section in System preferences - you should be able to just change it to OSX in there.
[but if you want more detail]
Go to the Apple menu, then "System Preferences." Choose "Startup Disk."
Select the Mac disk in the "Startup Disk" menu and click "Restart." The Mac disk is now your default startup disk.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
To the OP, make sure you have Aero graphics running. I seem to remember it was off by default. To turn it on, right click on the computer icon on the desktop, choose properties, and next to the system rating, there should a way to run a test. If my computer is not on the desktop, click start, then right click Computer and choose properties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.