Bootcamp & Windows 7 questions w/ new MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noobinator, Apr 15, 2010.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

Getting a new 13" this weekend and begrudgingly I'm going to need to install windows on it through bootcamp and I have some questions:

1. What version of windows 7 do i need (32 or 64)? I currently use windows XP on a really old Toshiba so I don't even have a copy of windows lying around so I'll have to buy one.

2. Is my battery life running windows going to be horrendous?

3. Is this an easy install? I've heard issues with locating drivers and everything.

4. Would parallels be a better option? I'm trying to research the pros/cons of each.

Thank you

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Both versions will work, choose whichever one you want to be using.

2. Yes, power management in windows sucks compared to OS X, my MBP gets 2hours battery in Win7 as opposed to 4 hours on OS X(older, non-unibody model).

3. If you can read instructions you can do it, it's stupidly easy to do, print it out and follow the paragraphs, if you succeed in missing a step, you shouldn't even own a computer :D

4. Parallels is virtualization, if you need the computer's full power when using windows, then it isn't an option. If you just need windows once in a while for simple stuff, then parallels is for you. Personally I have a boot camp partition which I also put into VMWare fusion, when I need power I reboot into windows, when I just need to transfer a few files or use windows only software that isn't too demanding, then I use VMWare.