BootCamp - Windows Activation Key Required

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by julienko3, Oct 10, 2008.

1. julienko3 macrumors regular

Here is a major problem...

I installed Windows XP Professional Edition using the OEM (branded DELL) CD that came with my PC. I installed it using bootcamp, and splitstreamed ServicePack 2 onto it. Everything works fine, except there is a window saying I must activate windows within 20 days. I've done lots of searches on this, with no solid answer.

This is the OEM, right? It's branded DELL. How can I figure the activation key? I found it using software at www.magicaljellybean.com to get the original registration key, but I just can't register this.

I keep hearing that those with OEM versions are screwed? Am I screwed? Must I purchase or download a NON-OEM version?

Please help,

Julien

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your Dell OEM copy of Windows is tied to your Dell that it shipped with. The serial key should be physically on the machine but you're only licensed to run it on that hardware.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

you could look on the box of your old PC and it'll have the key on it.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive found with HP products anyway, that the key the software is registered with on the OEM disk is different than the sticker key the machine comes with

ive tried this though with dell, used the CD and OEM sticker key, and i couldn't get it to activate, i traded a member on the forum here for a copy of vista he assured me the dell cd and key would work but it dont

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Instead of stealing a copy of Windows you will need to purchase a legal copy.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No an OEM version will work fine, just not the copy that came with your Dell.

7. Buttercookie macrumors member

Get the serial off your old Dell box it should work. I pulled mine off my old computer and it works fine. Its not stealing you paid for it. You just can't run it on two machines. If the Dell no longer runs switch your XP install to your mac.

It has to be the same version Home will not work with a pro serial or vice versa.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Here is a Windows XP Home Edition disk that will work from Newegg for $89. While some people call it an OEM disk, MicroSoft themselves refer to these as System Builder disks and they are licensed for a single computer that they are originally installed on. System Builder XP Home

These are SP3 disks and work great with BootCamp and are far more reasonable than retail versions which allow you to switch between different sets of hardware.

Your Dell stuff was originally licensed to Dell as a System Builder single installation BTW- which is why the certificate of authenticity/product key sticker was attached to the hardware case itself.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to either buy a retail copy or an OEM copy from a seller like NewEgg.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian