[Bootcamp]Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DanielDMB, Jul 25, 2010.

1. DanielDMB macrumors member

Okay, so for almost a day straight I've been working on using Bootcamp for my MacBook Pro.

Well, I originally was getting the "Disk Error" problem because it wasn't asking me to format my partition (it was automatically going with FAT32) so here's what I did to get it to work with NTFS:

I created a partition with bootcamp and proceeded to go into bootcamp normally, but when it asked me to choose where to install windows, I instead deleted the Bootcamp partition, and in the Unpartitioned source, I created a new partition and did the quick installation with NTFS.

Well, I did NOT get the disk error, but instead I got a black page with this:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

I've tried Re-installing it and I still get that.

Any help is appreciated, I'm very tired and frustrated with this.

Thanks in advance.

2. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

-Bump-

If I can't find the solution to the problem I'll have to send the CD back :S

3. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

I had this same issue.

Use Bootcamp to make the partition. When you install Windows, do NOT delete the FAT32 partition. Instead, select it and continue. The installer will give you an option to format it as NTFS (quick or full) or convert it to NTFS, or leave it as FAT32. Only then should you choose to quick format it as NTFS.

4. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it doesn't give me that option.

It skips that whole screen. And if I format it with FAT32 then it gives me the Disk Error, press any key to restart.

5. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

Are you trying to install Windows XP? If so, is it an installation disc with Service Pack 2 included? And if it's Windows XP, is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

Best,

6. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Yep. Windows XP 2002 Professional with Service Pack 2, 32 Bit edition :)

It's text book perfect. It's supposed to work.. And yes I'm trying to install it.

7. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

You could try a third-party partition utility like this one:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23828

Try resizing the Mac partition and making the NTFS partition with that and then installing XP.

If you do try this program, I would strongly recommend backing up any files you have on your hard drive already, just in case something goes wrong. I can't vouch for the quality of this (or any other) program. :(

EDIT: Here is a list of other options for manually adjusting the partitions.

Best,

8. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Yeah.. Everything's already backed up.. Did I mention this was all on a fresh install of Mac OSX 10.5.8? :p

I'll have a look. Not really happy that I have to go with third party programs.. but meh.. Let's see.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'll bet it's an OEM version, not a retail (full packaged product) one. It's only supposed to work with full packaged product.

Can you tell us the origin of your installer disc?

B

10. DanielDMB thread starter macrumors member

Crap.. You mean to say that OEM versions won't work with Bootcamp?

The one I purchased off Ebay was an OEM version.. Guess that's why I got it so cheap..