Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have read on the forums the limit on the amount of RAM that Windows XP and Vista 32bit can recognise is only 2gb and maybe 3gb with a dodgy sounding patch. So I have a couple of questions:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/03/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bits_santa_rosa_and_the_great_pc_swindle.html

1) Is this an issue only on bootcamp OR every normal windows PC too. As the above article seems to indicate every Windows PC with XP 32 or Vista 32 suffers from this. If this is so how come PC users have not been jumping up and down demanding their 4gb of RAM.

2) Does anyone know if there is light at the end of the tunnel on this or is this just something to accept and cry about later ;) . (given that no one runs the Windows 64bit op systems as they are about as stable as peg leg the no legged pirate :) ).

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I thought all Windows computers should be able to address at least 3GB of RAM.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I used Windows XP 64-bit for a couple years and it was very stable, it only lacked third-party driver support. I now use Windows Vista 64-bit on my MBP and it is the most stable and compatible version of Windows I have ever used. To take advantage of newer hardware, a 64-bit OS is a requirement.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I used Windows XP 64-bit for a couple years and it was very stable, it only lacked third-party driver support. I now use Windows Vista 64-bit on my MBP and it is the most stable and compatible version of Windows I have ever used. To take advantage of newer hardware, a 64-bit OS is a requirement.

how does it cope with games?

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica

IIRC, XP 64-bit is based on the Windows Server 2003 SP1 x64 codebase, at least for the core OS. In my experience it has always been rock-solid, but yes, it lacks drivers for many things. Sometimes the Windows 2003 x64 drivers work, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.