Bootcamp Windows reboot issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by karkov, Apr 16, 2008.

1. karkov macrumors newbie

After reading many a post I have not yet found this particular problem with installing Windows on my Intel MacMini.

After partitioning the HD through Bootcamp running through recently installed Leopard I insert my copy of XP Pro SP2 and the MacMini restarts.

On restart the DD whirs into action but as it begins reading the disk the screen 'cuts out' and the computer stalls only to come back to life once I power off and restart holding down 'Alt' and selecting Macintosh HD.

It recognises the Windows disk at the restart menu and also the copy of Windows works through a Parallels installation.

I mentioned the problem to my local Apple reseller and he informed me (perhaps unsurprisingly) that it was down to the fact that I have an OEM (cheap) version and not the retail (expensive) version. Is this true or mere sales patter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

That's just not true. I have successfully installed both XP 32 and Vista 64 and they were both OEM versions. The only difference between OEM and Retail is
    1. No Microsoft technical support for OEM
    2. The Retail version contains both 32 and 64 bit
    I believe that the Retail version has all version of the OS - the install key determines which version you can run.
    Alan

3. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

The retail version of XP does not support 32 AND 64 bt. The keys simply can't be used on either or. Windows XP 64-bit is not based off the same kernel that XP 32-bit is. XP 64-bit is based off of Windows Server 2003, except made to be used as a workstation OS instead of a server OS (many server functions are cut out and certain services and stuff are installed by default).

Windows Vista (OEM and Retail) key is not 32 or 64-bit only (although, you may only get either/or), but if you get a hold of a Vista 64-bit DVD, you can install it and use your 32-bit key. You may have to give MS a ring though.