BootCamp - Windows Support Software

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sigaven, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Sigaven macrumors newbie

I am trying to install windows on my mac via bootcamp, and it says I need to download Windows Support Software. I tried, but it says "Download cannot continue. The Windows Support Software is not available."

Can someone tell me what the problem is? This is very inconvenient because I do not currently have my OSX installation disk. I am in a different town for college and I would have to drive an hour an a half back home to retrieve it. Please tell me there is a solution to this problem so I don't have to waste my gasoline!

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

This is the Windows driver package Lion's Boot Camp Assistant downloaded for my MacBook Air.
    I believe they should work on any Mac capable of running Lion (any Intel Mac with a 64-bit CPU).

3. Sigaven thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still running Snow Leopard though (10.6.7).

4. cowinabox macrumors newbie

well.....
    just install bootcamp first and upgrade to windows 7 before updating OSX snow leopard to OSX lion

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

That's fine. The Windows driver package is separate from OS X. You can safely install it.

FYI you could even delete OS X and still install that.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Anyone tried this?

7. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Millions. It's the driver package Lion's BC Assistant downloads. I just 7-zip'd and uploaded it.

8. pizzafordinna macrumors member

I don't think you should do this. The drivers for your computer are much different than the drivers for a MacBook Air because of the difference of hardware.

It might be your college network isn't allowing the files to be downloaded. You could try to download the drivers from a different location

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Apple's Boot Camp packages have always included drivers for every compatible model (Which is why it's 600+ MB).

10. pizzafordinna macrumors member

Really? Thats interesting. I installed Windows 7 just a month ago on my Macbook Pro and I saw a message that told me not to do that.

Not saying your wrong, it's just curious to me

11. pleaseineed macrumors newbie

Does anybody have the answer why?

Would the Snow Leopard DVD have all the Windows Support Software for a...

Macbook Pro 2.16 Core Duo A1150

???

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately it just happens.

You can download it manually using the instructions at the bottom of this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14115792

Right now those links are: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...p7XVNQzRG8qdpsq9sj4pHsgXkgPYg/BootCampESD.pkg and http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...dxTTJW2yYdy3qHCChmQPH5dn74pbR/BootCampESD.pkg

each is ~600MB and I do not know why there are two.

If you use a Snow Leopard disc, make sure you either use the one that came with the machine or a retail one released well after the machine.

B

13. pleaseineed macrumors newbie

ah thanks, the Snow Leopard DVD is one of the last ones (10.6.3) i'd imagine since this mac is one of the 1st Macbook Pros.. that it's all good.

14. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

if go apple.com support search bootcamp should find drivers there for whatever comp you run