BootCamp+Windows ==> video drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sturob, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sturob macrumors regular

I've been using BootCamp quite successfully on a MacBook Pro for some time, running Windows XP. I've got a Mac Pro on order, and a question comes to mind.

I've ordered the nVidia 8800GT graphics card. Under BootCamp / Windows, will I be downloading ForceWare updates, or are whatever drivers come off the Leopard DVDs the ones I'll use?

I guess I'm kind of wondering how far the whole Intel-Mac-running-Windows thing goes . . .

Does this question make sense?

Thanks in advance,
    Stuart

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Probably easiest just to use the BootCamp drivers that come with the Mac Pro, however unless the Mac Edition 8800GT has special needs in Windows, you should be able to use whatever 8800GT drivers you want (Apple BootCamp drivers are mostly just a collection of existing drivers anyway).

3. sturob thread starter macrumors regular

OK. I guess, having also used some Wintel machines, I know that nVidia updates ForceWare periodically . . . is there a mechanism whereby Apple Software Updates incorporate updates of the Windows-side drivers for BootCamp? I can't really see how they'd do that.

Or do we know yet? I guess BootCamp hasn't exactly been out of beta for THAT long.

Stuart