Bootcamp/Windows XP or Parallel/Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Clappysheep, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Clappysheep macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to the Mac world and just bought the Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz. I desperately need to run some Windows applications on the new Mac. Apart from knowing that Bootcamp can only run Windows or Mac at a time and Parallel allows switch between Windows and Mac, can anyone help me to decide which option I should go for please? In particular:

1. I am not a heavy game user
    2. I use Excel / play movies / internet a lot
    3. I am concerned the keyboard being messed up by installing Parallels as I read from many reviews; I also heard that Parallel's technical / after sale support is terrible; Parallel doesn't seem to offer free updates.
    4. I am concerned the switching time between Mac and Windows if I use Bootcamp
    5. I have Windows XP

Should I go for:
    1. Windows XP+Bootcamp, or
    2. Windows XP+Parallels

Many thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why not do both? Install Xp onto Boot Camp and tell Parallels to use the Boot Camp drive as the startup drive. As for the keyboard problem I've never had a problem with Parallels messing with the keyboard. And true they don't offer free update, as in version 4 to version 5. But version 4 is pretty nice. I'm still using 3 because it does what I need it to do. If you do go about doing this first setup the Boot Camp half but don't activate Windows. Then setup Parallels then activate. Sometimes you may need to reactivate Xp on Boot Camp. Just call the 1-800 activation number and get the code to do that. It is legal because it's one license on one machine.

3. Clappysheep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Intell! Does Parallel v5 work better with Windows 7 than Windows XP?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've never used v5 or Win 7 in Parallels so I couldn't tell you. But common sense is that Xp, which requires less resources, will run better and if you already have an Xp license go for it. You can also try the Parallels demo if you want with Boot Camp. If you feel that Boot Camp is all you need then you just saved US$70.

5. cryingrobot macrumors regular

Yes..your intel on Parallels is pretty accurate. I hate the program deeply because it is so glitchy and after service is a joke. And, as you mentioned, they charge you for updates that simply fix their flawed program.

Go with virtual box first and see if it works for you. It should do everything you can reasonably expect a virtual XP to do. MS Office should run fine. Parallels tries to market itself on being more robust in things like gaming support but its a joke. If frame rate means anything to you, then Parallels for gaming is a waste of time and money.