Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henry Li

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
At the first time, I installed Windows XP successfully on my macbook pro. But, a week later, when I clicked on the "system preference" to check the startup disk, I found that the mac leopard OS has failed to recognized two startup disks - one is leopard, and another one is windows. Finally, it only left me an option - "Network Startup", for me to choose. As a result, in each time, my mac started up very slowly, as its default startup was "Network Startup", and my mac was searching the startup disk on the network. After a while, when it failed to discover a network startup disk, it started to read the local startup disk.

Well, when I wanted to delete the partition for windows on mac through bootcamp, the mac gave me an error message and told me to go to the Disk Utility in the system preference. And, again, I got error message. Finally, I inserted the installation disc of leopard, went to the Disk Utility by holding a key in startup, and everything was fine.

But, I was still worried about the OS system, since it may had some error already, so I re-installed the leopard on my macbook. After installing and updating leopard, I started to install windows xp on my mac. Everything was fine until the 34th minute of the XP installation process. There's no any response of the mouse cursor and the keyboard, and the installation process hanged at the recognition of the USB video device.

Then, I've restarted and repeat the installation process for many times. I've tried to connect a USB mouse and keyboard to my mac, and they all had response until the 34th minute in installation. I even spent one day for this error.

Finally, to conclude, I am quite disappointed with the compatibility and stability of bootcamp. I hope the bootcamp 3.0 in snow leopard will be better. I am just waiting for the Apple's so-called "refinements", and want to see what apple programmers did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.