Bootcamp WinXP issues..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beasse, Jul 29, 2009.

1. beasse macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro from June 2009. I have come across that Installing Microsoft Windows XP (32 bit) through Boot Camp Assistant it won't let you choose whether to use your Nvidia Geforce 9400m or Nvidia 9600m which is a BIG disappointment.. especially if you have the need to be in Windows and are mobile.

I have phoned the Apple Tech Support in Sweden and they simply say "I don't know about WindowsXP and i can't give support on it". Honestly this is not a Windows issue this is something that has to do with Apple and Bootcamp. If you have a Macbook Pro June 2009 and only have the 9400m Video card then WindowsXP will recognize this but will not if you have both.

I question the competence of the Apple Support team after speaking to them over the phone. After i got an email wanting me to evaluate their service, laughs.

I am personally an old Microsoft and WindowsXP user and i still use it for my desktop due games and what not although that being said i love being on my Macbook Pro within OS X Leopard... but shouldn't they be able to fix this issue or am i the only one having this complaint?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They? you mean apple should fix a windows issue of selecting the video card. I don't know I'm kind thinking that apple should deal with apple software issues. While I agree it would be nice to select the video card in a non OSX operating system (I use ubuntu) I'm not about to blame apple for this.

I also don't believe they're in the business of supporting windows and dealing with windows problems.

3. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

I see your point but this is clearly not an issue with Windows only. It will be the same for Linux, Ubunto etc. The fact that the Apple support people who are suppose to be "technicians" didn't know this or pretended to not know is just strange. Just think about it.. Your OS X on your new Macbook you have about of 4 to 7 hours that you can use it while being mobile to do word, lighter surfing etc not involving a lot of flash windows.

While using bootcamp you will only get around 1½ to 2½ hours and the 9600 is running full throttle...

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

AFAIK switching the video cards just isn't an option while booted into windows. It just uses the more powerful one.

5. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly and the Apple Support team would not even understand this, i couldn't believe that he didn't understood what i said... It has absolutely nothing to do with Windows it's within Bootcamp itself i think it emulates a normal BIOS or something so that the operation system on the bootcamp partition can recognize it.

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

It's a driver thing. Either nVidia or Apple is dropping the ball.

7. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

I love being in OS X but seriously our machines are called "Macbook Pro" it's a delight to work with the machine in OS X but this needs to be addressed and they should look into this honestly. I hope Apple and Nvidia takes this concern seriously.

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I can feel your pain. Drivers for Windows and Ubuntu are very bad. Imo when apple claims that you can install alternative OS through bootcamp they should do it properly and not with half assed drivers. The manufacturer of Macbooks (Asustek) makes million of non-apple computers as well so they should get together and provide better drivers.

If you want to use XP on your mac (some of us really have to) and not kill the battery in 1-2 hours your best bet is virtualization. Run XP in parallels, VMware Fusion or Virtualbox. There is a performance handicap compared to a native install but you can preserver mobility this way.

9. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

Still i believe they will not care unless we address this issue. Perhaps it will be solved in Snow Leopard? Since it will work if you only have 9400m on the Macbook Pro then it's probably a configuration change that allows Bootcamp Assistant to choose which to use since you have to do that within OS X.

I will probably get VMware Fusion at a later stage but this has been nagging me for a while knowing i can't be on bootcamp with the fantastic battery time.

10. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this on the Apple wepsite.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2457

"Resolution
    Windows is not able to take advantage of the GeForce 9400M graphics processor and by default uses the GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processor."

11. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

12. jamesr242 macrumors member

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I love my new (and first) mac, but if Apple claims to support Windows, they need to actually support all the features that work on a PC. I can't even get hardly any sound in Windows and my Alt-Tab doesn't work.

13. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

it's not Windows though. I think it's Apple deliberately choosing to not do this so people would be forced to use OS X if they wish to use the battery time if not then they have simply not though of this. I don't know how it is in Linux over BootCamp but i would assume it won't recognize the 9400m either. When you choose the better battery life option or the higher performance" then you have to physically logout and login to get it to work. Why this isnt working while being on the Bootcamp is just rediculus. using Bootcamp was one of the main reasons i chosen to get my Macbook Pro, especially so i could run WindowsXP natively. That being said i love OS X but this is something i want them to fix. If it will be done in Snow Leopard that is fine but they need to fix it...

14. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

I thought Vista was the way to go to regain your battery life :confused:

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My sarcasm meter is broken so I cannot tell if you're serious. The only thing Vista is good for is the box it comes in makes for a good door stop.

16. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

No doubt its a pile of poop, hence why I prefer to run Windows XP on my desktop rig. However certain people on this forum eluded to the fact that it has better power management drivers which gives upto 20% better battery life on the MBP. Neither Windows XP or Windows 7 perform as well.

17. Demthios macrumors member

My question is why windows can't see the 9400m on the dual video card Macs when the low end 13/15 only have the 9400m and they can still run boot camp.

18. beasse thread starter macrumors newbie

Precisely Demthios... It's probably Bootcamp who is configured to tell that only 9600m exist on it. Otherwise 9400m wouldnt be recognized on the low end Macbook Pros... it's a joke this hasn't been fixed honestly.. It's even called Macbook Pro ;)

I did run Vista when it was out on the beta-testing.. and it gave me hell so i switched back to XP. Although i will move on to Windows-7 once its released. I have a PC so i don't think i will ever run OS X as my main operationg system. I have OS X on my PC as well hacked but game performance is lacking but it might change with Snow Leopard slightly.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Isn't the 9400 part of the ION platform? Working and fully supported by windows in a million net-tops and netbooks?

Unless snow leopard comes with an upgraded version of bootcamp don't expect much. The two operating systems are fully independent. It's the same deal with Ubuntu. I got my Macbook and I was sold on that flexibility to have the two operating systems I was used too and the simplicity of OS X. Oh well, I found more features about OS X I like but it's still a bummer.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I understand the OP completely but why blame the AppleCare rep. Here is the fact, once you boot up to Windows you're on your own, It's that simple. All we can do is tell you to install drivers off the OS X DVD. Yeah it sucks that 9600M GT users can't choose the 9400M but even we can't lend a suggestion to Apple's engineers so to blame and call the agent whatever is inappropriate.