bootcamp with 2 separate hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingofkind, May 30, 2011.

1. kingofkind macrumors member

this is my first time posting here so i hope this is in the right place :) I have a 13" macbook pro and i plan on getting a OWC data doubler (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DDAMBS0GB/) and what i would like to do is have OSX on the main hard drive and then have the other hard drive running Win 7 for my mapping software. Would this be possible through bootcamp?
    Thanks!

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

This comes from Apple:

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yep, I have the same setup. I actually have Win 7 and my OSX user data all on the OEM 750GB drive, and only OSX and apps on the SSD. The only drawback is that using Windows is painfully slow after you get used to OSX on an SSD :)

If you want to save a little money btw, I got a generic Optibay from eBay for $10 and it works just fine. It's just my opinion...but $80 for a little bracket is ridiculous.

4. kingofkind thread starter macrumors member

5. ycgdave macrumors newbie

Did you get it to work? i did the same thing with all SSD... I cannot install Windows.. even tried target disk mode, bootable usb, rEFit, and external dvd drive.
    :confused:

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You have to install it from the Superdrive while it's in it's original spot inside the computer & connected to the internal SATA connector. I was stuck because of that reason for a while. IIRC, you have to use Bootcamp to make the partition, then put that drive in the main spot and the optical drive in it's spot, then boot to the Windows disc.