Bootcamp with dual drives.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Davefromaus, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Davefromaus macrumors newbie

Referring to a new 27' iMac....

Is there a way to install windows onto the ssd using bootcamp helper. And then use the disk utilities partition program to partition my hdd so as it can be split in half and used in both OS.

This would allow for both OS and certain programs to run off the ssd. And also give extra drive space to both partitions for other programs not necessary to run off of the ssd and rather the hdd, as well as normal data save files.

Or from what I've been told can you only use the ssd and the hdd must be removed?

Thank in advance for any advice.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I'm unsure what you mean exactly.

But I have an SSD and my old HDD in my macbook pro. Windows and mac os x were installed on my SSD. I then used my hdd for all my data.

I guess it should be possible to make two partitions on the hdd as well, one for mac the other for windows. Or you could install NTFS drivers for the mac and make the HDD NTFS/ make windows read Mac os journaled.

3. Davefromaus thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill try to explain my self a bit better.

I would like to install bootcamp on my SSD therefore having my Mac OS and Windows OS installed on the SSD, this is without touching the HDD at all.

As the HDD is formatted as HFS+the windows partition will not be able to read or write to the Drive.

After i have installed the bootcamp partition is there away to reformat the HDD so as the windows partition can write and read from it on top of the already partitioned SSD space.

Therefore giving me a total of half my SSD and half my HDD space avaliable on my Mac OS and also half my SSD and HDD space on my windows partition?

Sorry for the long winded explanation... hope this explains it better.
    Thanx in advance

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

you could try this... partition hdd format first partition in hfs+ and second in ms dos then reformat second partition in ntfs using windows disc .or just format all in ms dos as windows and mac can read off. it might be worth trying .

5. Davefromaus thread starter macrumors newbie

So by reformating the HDD after i have installed bootcamp on the SSD, It will not have any effect on the OS other than allowing access to the HDD?

Cause thats what i want.

MAC OSX with (128Gb SSD + 500Gb HDD)
    AND
    Windows 7 with (128Gb SSD + 500Gb HDD)

The SSD section on windows will be (NTFS) and on OSX (HFS)

And the HDD could either be... (half HFS + Half NTFS) or (Full MsDos)

Is that what you believe to be true?

(Side Note : Any limitations in MsDos formating) eg File size, File type?

----------

BTW i am asking this question because i dont want to install bootcamp and be left with the HDD only accessable on the Mac OSX partition.

and the windows left with only the SSD size i select.

6. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

each system having their own formatted part of disc sounds more plausible to me you could name each one as want etc .having all one format may have probs of mixing up win files with mac. if not work for you takes only time as can reformat disc try something else. someone else may be more expert at it than me, if read this post they might give better method.best of luck.

7. Davefromaus thread starter macrumors newbie

8. MHM macrumors newbie

How about ExFAT format!!??

I have a mac pro and replaced my disk drive by an SSD. my mac OS and bootcamp are installed on my SSD. Now I would like to format my HDD in a way that all of it can be used (read+write) by both my mac and windows !!
    Can I do that by formatting the HDD in ExFAT format? if not any recommendation?

thanks