Bootcamp with External DVD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kuray, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Kuray macrumors regular

I have Data Doubler optibay so I need to use External DVD Drive to install Windows 7

Here is screenshot from Boot Camp Assistant:

[​IMG]

I want to install Windows 7 to my 2nd Drive. But I don't want to waste all my 500 GB to the Windows.

So I need 4+1 partitions in 2nd drive. 4 partition must be Apple partition and last partition must be for Windows

I tried to install with rEFIt but rEFIt doesn't show my boot up disc which is connected with USB.

What should I do now ?

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

well youre definitely gonna have to put the superdrive back in to install windows... heres a guide i wrote about getting 5 partitions (one for bootcamp) on a hard drive

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Out of pure curiosity, why did you partition your drive like that? Does it serve any practical purpose that using plan old folders wouldn't provide?

4. xpcker macrumors regular

had the same issues, what i did was take off my hdd and replace for the external for installing and partitioning windows.

5. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

One for Files
    One for iTunes
    One for Backup
    One for Lion
    One for Windows

All iTunes media located at iTunes partition
    Backup partition backups SSD with Time Machine
    Lion partiiton is copy of Lion installation

Files is all other things that not used much such as episodes or movies.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I still don't understand why simply using your home folder's built in folders for music, movies, etc wouldn't do? Isn't your partitioning overcomplicating things? Not criticizing or anything, I just don't see any advantage at all to your method(I'm always looking for ways to keep organized, so I was curious).

To each his own I guess. Thanks for humoring me.

7. Kuray thread starter macrumors regular

I have SSD as a primary drive. As for as I remember I had 60 gb of Movies and 32 gb of TV episodes that I didn't back up to the external hard drive.
    Also 32 gb of iTunes Media files including Apps, Music and Videos

And I don't need my movies, iTunes files to be extremely fast. Why should I copy and delete all these files to the SSD and minimize SSD's life ?
    There are files that bigger than 12 GB maybe, why should I put them to the SSD?
    I have 120 GB SSD.

Also Backup is very cool too. I don't need external device always connected to the MacBook Pro. Every time, Time Machine back ups a copy of my SSD to the Backup partition

I explained Files, iTunes, Backup. Lastly Lion Installation part. Incase of I want to install OS X again, or something happen to the main system, I don't need to wait USB Thumb Drive's 10~ MB write/read speed compared to the Hard Drive's 60~ MB write/read speed. I'm not carrying External DVD drive(because of optibay) with me everywhere so this helps too.

I feel more comfortable when I have more partitions. If something happens to the main system or SSD dies, I can easily have everything from 2nd drive's partitions.

You can think that I can put all media files including iTunes and other movies. But you cannot back up Time Machine to the same partition. Or you can not have copy of Lion Installation on the same partition.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, that explains it better. I don't own an opti-bay(nor do I think I ever will) so an external hard drive it is for me.

Smart thinking though.