Bootcamp with firewire disc reader.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PAppan125, Feb 23, 2010.

1. PAppan125 macrumors newbie

Hello. I have got some problems trying to install Windows 7. My iMac's inbuild discreader is broken and i do not want to replace it with a new one.I have got a Lacie Disc Reader wich lets me put in discs in it and it reads. Its connected to my Mac with a firewire cable. Whenever i restart my computer so that i can install Windows 7, i get something like this: Cannot read disc insert a new one and press any key... Is it because i have a firewire disc reader? PLEASE help :confused:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably so. Do you have, or can you get, a 4 GB or larger USB flash drive?

If so, you can copy the contents of the Windows 7 install CD to the thumb drive and install from that. I just did that for a machine I put together without an optical drive.

You will need access to a Windows machine to follow the instructions, however, you should be able to use your FW optical drive to load Windows 7 into a Virtual Machine (VMWare Fusion/Parallels or Virtualbox the first two have free trials and the latter is just free).

B

3. PAppan125 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Thanks. I have an USB 8GB flash drive but i have formated it so that it could fit Wii games. I do not want too reformat it, so i tryed another burning option in Toast Titanium 10, and now it works! Thanks for the reply tho, my friend had the same problem but didn't have a disc reader. I followed your instructions via his USB drive and now it works!:) Thanks SO much!