Bootcamp with Non-EFI GeForce 660 has Black Screens

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottrichardson, May 26, 2013.

1. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a GeForce 660 Ti which runs really nicely on Mac OS X (no boot screens), but after installing BootCamp and Windows 7, I cannot get anything to show on my screens under native Windows.

If I plug the screens into my old GeForce 120 (came stock with my mac pro) it works fine. I even tried downloading the latest GeForce Experience drivers but it says it's not compatible with my system.

I feel like I'm missing some obvious piece of information about using normal Windows GPU's under boot camp.

Irony = when a windows GPU works in Mac OS X but not Windows?

Scott

2. MacVidCards Suspended

You need to download the windows drivers for your OS when both cards are in. install. restart

3. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! But i did download the new GeForce Experience software and it said that it wasn't compatible?

Perhaps I'll try the actual drivers from Gigabyte?

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Just go to Nvidia website and get drivers for your OS.

5. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it working thanks. Ended up with another problem - ie: Not knowing how to boot back into Mac OS X since I couldn't find a Bootcamp / startup disk control panel in Windows 8. Holding option wasn't an option for me as I run RAID OS X on a Sonnet Tempo Pro PCI Card. Even removing the Windows Disk from my Mac Pro still brought up the Windows boot loader. Thankfully zapping PRAM got me back to Mac OS X! Phiew!

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Try using BootChamp. It adds a menu bar item that when clicked will allow you to boot in to your Bootcamp drive/partition once. When you shut down from Windows, your next reboot will be back in to Mac OS X.

7. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds like it would be exactly what I need. Many thanks for the tip. Will check it out now.

8. MacVidCards Suspended

Install the bootcamp package, will give you the control panel and other nifty things like keyboard volume controls

9. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

I did try that but it didn't seem to install anything useful. Do you have a link to download the correct package?

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Go to your Utilities folder and launch the Boot Camp Assistant app. Then follow the on screen directions to create a driver disc or flash drive.

11. Asgorath macrumors 65816

Link should be in the FAQ thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150) and there's a section that talks about exactly this issue (question 9).

Edit: Sorry, thought you were asking about BootChamp. You definitely want the boot camp package installed, and as pastrychef said you can just create a disk using the assistant app.