Bootcamp with Vista 64bit, no switch application

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tezro, Aug 3, 2009.

1. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

I've searched with google and here on the forums, but couldn't find anything regarding my problem.

I have Mac OS X on my SSD and Windows Vista X64 on a seperate drive.
    I used Bootcamp to prepare the drive as a single partition for Windows.
    All fine and working so far.

However, after installing the Bootcamp tools from my Mac OS X 10.5 DVD I don't get anything in the Start Menu apart from the Apple Update program.
    There are several services including the Switch application that is running, but that's it.

As a result my Early-2008 Mac Pro will only boot from the Windows drive, unless I use the Option/Alt key to select the Mac OS X drive.

Anyone got a clue what I might be missing here?
    I already did the re-install/replace option on the Bootcamp tools. No effect.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Have you tried running Apple Update to install the latest version of boot camp?

3. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Yeah, it came up with Quicktime and Safari...

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

On 64-Bit Windows you need a 64-Bit version of Boot Camp.

The BootCamp version on your OS X 10.5 DVD probably is 32-Bit only, which explains why you don't see any icons in the Windows system tray. Furthermore, the 64-Bit BootCamp update can only be installed if you already have a 64-Bit version of BootCamp installed.

Apple only supplies a couple of its machines with 64-Bit versions of Boot Camp. For example, my older Mac Pro is not officially supported, although 64-Bit Boot Camp runs flawlessly on it. I had to download the appropriate Boot Camp version via a Torrent. Once it was installed, I also could update to the latest 64-Bit Boot Camp from Apple's website.

Short version: If you do not have 64-Bit drivers for Windows on your Leopard DVD, you will also have to download a 64-Bit version from one of the many torrent sites on the web. For graphics drivers, go to nVidia's or ATI's homepage directly; they have the latest and fastest drivers for Windows. The once coming with Boot Camp suck.

5. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Aah, that would explains things :) Thanks.

I installed Vista X64 SP2 which installed all drivers but one, which the ATI display driver fixed (running a 4890).

I will look for that 64 bit Bootcamp.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

7. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The update from :apple: will not work. You need a genuine disk based Folder (or copied from a disk) first.

There are also so called 2.0.1 drivers on Rapidshare accounts, that may be faster for download. Its 400MB. All files must be unpacked together so that the forlder structure is re-created.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Really? I was able to use the one from apple.com when I ran into the same situation.

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

A 2.1 update generally will not work unless you have a 2.0 installation. You may have had that. The updates do not install on a fresh Windows installation because :apple: gives no freebies. They want you to buy Leopard even if you only want to run Windows. Bootcamp (which is largely the Windows drivers) is a feature of Leopard and they do deny it to Tiger users.

11. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Think I know where I went wrong.
    In the past I used the installation DVD supplied with my Mac Pro.
    Seems that is 2.0.2. Obviously the 10.5 DVD is from november 2007, so it misses several stuff, like 64 bit drivers and tools.

Rebooting now then installing the 2.1 update.
    See if I get the damn switch application now :)

One thing that does annoy me is that the Bootcamp setup install loads of drivers I don't need for my machine. Like ATI and Nvidia display drivers for cars I don't even have. Let alone installed.

Reboot done and I got the Bootcamp icon in my system tray. Yay :D

Thanks guys in finding my silliness :)