Bootcamp with windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Blake1, May 17, 2011.

1. Blake1 macrumors member

So I just purchased my first iMac! Im super excited. My question is this. I plan on using bootcamp so I can play windows based games (Company of heroes, Settlers 7, and Company of heroes). I need to buy a copy of windows to do so. Does windows 7 run games just as well as other versions of windows? I once read that XP worked best for gaming. But does it make that big of a difference. Any feedback and suggestions would help! Thanks

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, Windows 7 is the best for gaming.

3. glitch44 macrumors 65816

AFAIK, Boot Camp no longer supports installing XP.

4. bushman4 macrumors 68000

5. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

only 4 replies and it seems pretty unanimous :) Thanks for the help!

So I assume the premium will work fine?

6. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

Excuse the ignorance. But where do i find the OEM version. I didn't know there was one.

7. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

actually, I think I found some :) Does OEM just mean there is not the nice packaging?

8. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

Yet another question. Should I get the 64 bit version of windows or 32 bit? I don't really know the differences. I only know a little from what I read. It sounds like the 32 bit is what I want.

9. BBQXXX macrumors member

It comes in basic packaging not the fancy case and it can only ever be installed on one computer and that's it.

You would want the 64bit so it can support and use all your RAM.

10. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

Will 64 bit still support some older games that I play, like Company of Heroes?\

Thanks for the help :)

11. Rhei macrumors member

I'm a recent Mac convert (actually don't even have my MBP yet heh), but coming from a PC I can tell you yes, CoH will work on Win 7 64 bit. I've played it myself, have not tried the expansions yet though.

There are also options in there where you can have the program run in a software environment like XP or Vista if you really need to, but you shouldn't.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Home Premium 64 bit will be fine. It will play anything released in the last 5 years. You want 64 bit to take advantage of the RAM as 32 bit is limited to using 3GB. This may have an impact in future games.

13. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

When installing 32bit applications, it will run it in 32 bit mode and will be installed in a directory called Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files.

btw, CoH rocks!

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

15. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks everyone for your help! I have window 7 OEM in my possession. My iMac is suppose to arrive tue :) can't wait! Thanks again

16. Blake1 thread starter macrumors member

CoH is da best! I have near zero online game play experience. My new iMac should run the game quit nice and I plan to do some online gameplay. We should battle together!

17. LandingMatch macrumors newbie

WINDOWS 7 operating system Better because window 7 graphic much better then window Xp.....