Bootcamp won't partition the HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ja Di ksw, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi all. I'm trying to use Bootcamp, but it's not working. Here's the error message:

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

However, I already have it set up as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume! I also can't exactly back everything up and wipe it clean b/c my external HD is a lot older than my computer and can't hold all my files.

So, any advice?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to do exactly what it says ... there are other things people will tell you to try, but they usually don't work. The only way is backup, erase, and restore.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

4. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

what the *?

Ok, so I borrowed a friend's external HD and reinstalled from scratch (without putting my old system on yet). The windows installation finished, then said there was an error and to restart. It kept saying that and wouldn't restart. Then I tried going back to my Mac OS, and it immediately went to the grey screen with the different languages that says you have to hold down the power button until it restarts b/c there's some error. So I did that, and it would never go further. I even tried reinstalling my old system and it still did this. The disk repair utility said everything on the Mac OS should be fine, though. Eventually I was able to reinstall it clean from the Snow Leopard DVD, but now I can't get my old computer back or windows on it! What the *!?

So . . . . any advice? :( :eek: