Bootcamp wont recognize win7 pro x64 upgrade dvd

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iAppleONE, Aug 8, 2010.

1. iAppleONE macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install win7 on my macbook with bootcamp but I cant get pass the start installation step. I have the burned dvd in my drive but bootcamp doesnt recognize it. What should I do? Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Since you said burned, I'm assuming it isn't an official copy (so there's your issue).

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

This board doesn't support illegal activities.

Buy an official FULL RETAIL copy.

4. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

well is the iso image from the student license

5. celticpride678

Did you pay for the student license? Is this an actual Microsoft disk or did you burn it?

6. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

Legal student license and burned dvd from iso image/download link

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Don't be so quick to judge.

The 'FULL RETAIL' disc won't boot either - it's an EFI issue and the disc needs re-burning to work on Macs.

8. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

Do you know the fix for this? On a side note, the release candidate dvd had no problem. Weird.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

This might help, but I'm not sure it's your exact problem. Have you tried just booting your Mac with the Win7 DVD (hold down the Alt key after you power on)? If you do that and it asks you to 'Select CD ROM Boot type' then you need to re-burn your disc.

10. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

I tried that already and mac HD is the only available option.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

First things first. Does the disc boot on a regilar PC? Can you post a screenshot of the contents of the disc you burned as seen in os x? If the only file on the disc is the ISO file you burned it wrong.

B

12. swethareddy macrumors newbie

i deleted windows

hi friends,i deleted windows in my macbook pro due to some problems..i deleted that by going to diskutility nd erased it ..now i want to install windows again but it was giving error as mac" The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."then i deleted partion in disk utility ,and i tried but it was giving error what should i do know...plz help me out

13. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

You can install a Windows 7 upgrade on Boot Camp

I was also unable to install from a Windows 7 upgrade CD (sorry if it's actually a DVD). A full version would have installed without incident on an empty Boot Camp partition.

When I tried to install the upgrade, it asked for the earlier Windows CD that I was upgrading from. It rejected my academic retail full version of XP, probably because it was not even SP1. Boot Camp says you need at least SP2.

That's when I learned how to "slipstream" to make a single-disc XP SP3 from my 2 discs. But I could not use that disc to either get the Windows 7 upgrade installed or even to install XP SP3. So I either had to buy Windows 7 again, this time the full version (ouch), or figure out another plan.

My only choice at this point was to trick Boot Camp and the Windows 7 upgrade into thinking I had a prior Windows OS already on the Boot Camp partition. I planned on installing XP SP3 OS on an external drive, and restoring that to Boot Camp.

I plugged a USB HDD into my Windows PC and started installing my slipstreamed Windows XP SP3 onto the external drive. The install crashed after the first reboot, but there was enough in the \WINDOWS directory on the external drive that it eventually got me to where I needed to go -- I think it just failed to install drivers for the attached hardware, which did not matter since it got blown away during a reformat (details to follow).

I copied the \WINDOWS directory from the USB drive to the Boot Camp partition and put my Windows 7 upgrade CD back in. It worked! The Windows 7 upgrade started installing. The install needed to re-format the Boot Camp partition, since it said it could not read the NTFS-partition that the Mac had formatted. Even though the re-format wiped out the couple of files and a directory that OS X had initially installed on the Boot Camp partition, it has not made any difference.

Looking back on it, perhaps I could have simply copied my existing \WINDOWS directory from my other PC to the Boot Camp partition, and the install would have worked (since I was not trying to start Windows with it -- I just needed it to get the Windows 7 upgrade going).

Unfortunately, my other PC stopped booting correctly after installing XP to the external drive, thinking I had a dual boot going on, which I eventually fixed.

I did not even go into the trouble of trying to be an OS X user, not liking the OS X interface (being an abused Windows user since 3.1 who has well-developed coping mechanisms), issues with Crossover for Office 2003 for Windows, and then problems with initially getting Boot Camp set up. I have been at this for days!

14. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You said you got it through a student license, was it from somewhere like Software4Students.

I purchased and downloaded a student license of Windows 7 a few weeks ago. I burnt the ISO to a DVD but it wouldn't boot. When I investigated the contents of the disc, I noticed that the ISO doesn't contain all the files to make it bootable. The disc only works as an upgrade disc with an exisiting OS already installed. It won't even allow you to do an erase and install like a retail upgrade DVD did. Therefore, I had to ditch the ISO and use my other Windows 7 Upgrade disc that was bootable.

I was very displeased with Software4Students providing me a cut-down upgrade disc.