Bootcamp won't work, Keep trying everything!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kevsta26, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

So I've been trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate on my MacBook Pro 15" Early 2011 running OS X Lion 10.7.3 and there's been no luck! Every time I go to bootcamp assistant and I try to make the partition for windows it works for a minute and then pops up saying

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I've tried a lot of things like repairing the disk, using iDefrag, making my own FAT partition which also fails, and doing a full restore from snow leopard back to lion using the sl disk. I did loose some harddrive space at one point and happened to delete my Recovery HD to see if that would fix the problem, which it didn't, so I just recently reinstalled OS X Lion from the App store and now I have all my harddrive space back and the Recovery HD... I'm just really stuck and have been trying and trying for days to fix this, but there's no luck :( Please help, Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You tried a lot, but you didn't do what it said - which is the only way to truly avoid that error.

3. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I don't have anything to back up the drive, and I've reinstalled the entire computer with the Snow Leopard Disk without backing up at all and loosing everything, but I still have this error? Maybe I should try it again?

4. simsaladimbamba

What about a simple Clean Install deleting the entire HDD*?:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

5. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. NoamGM macrumors newbie