Bootcamp: XP first boot 25 minutes

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fivetoadsloth, Mar 12, 2008.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hello, I installed boot camp on my new macbook pro, and the installation process went fine. However after all of the installations and a couple automatic restart windows xp started booting and the blue slider has been going across for almost 25 minutes.

Is this normal, and should I just keep waiting? Or: Should I force shut off and boot back up? I am not very experienced with windows on the mac, though 25 minutes of 'start up' seems a bit ridiculous.

Thanks

2. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

Windows XP

Did you make any progress with your installation?

I've had my MacBook Pro for about a week now and this is my first apple since the IIgs days. I did an install of XP and everything went smoothly. Here's what I did to help things along. I booted off the systems disc to do disk verify and repair, back into Leopard, ran Boot Camp and partitioned about 20GB of space on a 200 GB HD, inserted Windows disc, formated in NTFS using the long method, and the rest of the install went without a hitch. Just be patient and don't hit any keys, cancel, return, control/alt delete - nothing, just let it install. I then installed Quicken, AVG, windows defender and began doing some of the updates, I think there were 91 some odd windows updates. I think I'll do a little at a time.

Mike