Bootcamp: XP gives much better batterylife than Vista/7 on MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philflow, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Philflow macrumors 65816

I don't know why but in XP Windows tells me I have over 5 hours of battery life (5:34 max). In Windows 7 and Vista I hardly get to 4.

This is with Wifi on, low brightness.

thought it might be interesting to some people.

2. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Stands to reason because in Vista and 7 there are far more graphic effects (Aero) than XP.

3. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

ANYTHING gets better life with XP than with Vista/7. Not just MacBooks.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't see a difference between XP and 7. Both get crappy battery life (no more than 2 hours).

5. moral-hazard macrumors regular

On a new 13" MBP? I would assume they get at least 5...probably 6-7...

6. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

I disabled Aero in Vista and Windows 7.

No he has a 15" as shown in his sig.

PS. 6 hours is impossible with Windows as far as I know.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone get more than 5 on the new MBP's and no more than 2 with the original uMBP.

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Bootcamp's power management and drivers for Windows SUCK. that's why the machines run hot and drain their batteries too soon. Plus windows being a little more resource hungry.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That probably is true but sometimes I think us Mac users are spoiled. We think the heat and battery life is horrible but that's what Windows users get. Having gone through a few Windows laptops from Dell, Toshiba, it would heat up and fans would be spinning while browsing the internet, Office applications and music in the background. I'm doing the exact same thing on the MacBook Pro in OS X and don't get the heat. You can blame drivers but you also have to lay some blame on the OS.

10. moral-hazard macrumors regular

You're comparing low-end budget PC's to the most overpriced PC's available. A dell that would be as powerful as my MBP might cost half the price...so of course things like the fan aren't going to perform comparably. Same goes for toshiba.

I think the fan design on the Mac is a complete P.O.S.
    My fan hasn't gone on "full" once yet (at least if it has I haven't heard it) and I don't have heat issues, but not being able to run the computer when the lid is closed is kinda rediculous. I have an external monitor attached and it would be great to be able to shut the lid and still work on it. I know this would ruin the "look" apple is going for but I'm sure there is SOME better alternative than sealing the case up entirely.

11. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Not so. I got close to 11 hrs with my Fujitsu Lifebook T2010 w/extended battery.

True story.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It doesn't matter low-end vs. Apple. You can find the something equivalent to the MacBook Pro and still have the heat and fans going high in Windows. Also, what do you mean you can't run the computer with the lid closed? As for the fans, they will spin up once the temperatures get to 70 C or higher, other than that the fans stay neutral at 2000RPM which I don't think it's a bad thing.

I think they're referring to the MacBook line not other manufacturers.

13. moral-hazard macrumors regular

it's possible to run it with the lid closed, but it looks like the fan is all but blocked off. Im sure it would *work* but I feel like it would really cut off the exhaust from the fan and trap it inside more or less.

and my sony never made any fan noise...

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There is less circulation but it seems to have little effect in terms of temperature. As long as you're not blocking the back where the black plastic (hinge) is not being blocked, you should be good. If it gets too hot the fans will kick in - you're not harming your computer in anyway.

15. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

I was referring to Macbooks.

Nice score. You can get 13 hours with MSI Wind U115 on a standard 6 cell battery.