Bootcamp XP Pro SP3 won't install!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mxelre, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

I tried in the windows section but no one answered...

Ok so I run bootcamp assistant and partition 32GB for windows. I slam the XP Pro SP3 cd in and let it do his thing. It copies all the files of the windows CD onto my bootcamp partition. Awesome! Then once it's finished the computer restarts...thats normal! But then instead of carrying on with the installation it starts copying the files all over again So I shut the computer off. I turn it on and does the same thing again until I finally manage to get the cd out of there. I restart in OSX and I have a bootcamp partition lying on my desktop with all the necessary windows file. Any clue as what I should do to complete the installation? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to installing OS. What should I do next?

Thank You guys!

P.S. I need to get AutoCAD, solidworks, ProE WF4 and Unigraphix working on it before sunday :S

2. zenspeaks macrumors member

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Also to access your Windows partiton hold down the option key I think on startup and then select the partition with Windows on it.

4. effer macrumors member

Just reading Apple's website, they say SP2 is needed for installation. I'm guessing that only then can you upgrade to SP3, after SP2 has been installed. Or perhaps their online help is out of date.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Perhaps the section you were reading was indeed out of date, but the current system requirements do note that SP2 and SP3 disks are supported-
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899?viewlocale=en_US . If you are upgrading an existing SP2 installation, as zenspeaks mentioned above, the BootCamp 2.1 update must be applied within Windows (it is an .exe file) before you can apply the SP3 update to XP.

6. sharp65 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F137 Safari/525.20)

It sounds like all of the files copy over and it restarts to finish installation it's booting back into the windows cd instead of using the harddrive.