Bootcamp XP question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsaregood, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Bootsaregood macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new 13" 2011 MBP. I got a hold of my copy of windows XP and began to run through the process of installing it via bootcamp. Well, needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when I got through the entire installation process and inserted my Mac OS X install DVD for the driver updates, and I was greeted by the message that bootcamp no longer supports Windows XP :(

However, about a week later as I started looking into windows 7, I had a thought. Do I need to run the OS X install DvD for windows to run okay? I can boot up into windows fine but haven't really toyed around with it. Somewhere in the bootcamp process I know I read that the OS X DvD install drivers for the trackpad and camera to work, neither of which would be an issue for me (I have a mouse and don't plan on using the camera).

All I am looking to do with windows is play some games, and really don't want to have to invest into Windows 7 in order to make that happen. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

As of this generation MBP Apple no longer supports XP nor vista, only Windows 7. You can and will be able to boot XP, but you'll have no drivers for the graphics, backlit keyboard, sound, network, be it wired or wireless, etc. You're stuck upgrading or using a virtual machine. Sorry.

Edit: what games are you trying to run anyway?

Are you in college/university? If so, most have a deal with M$ for much cheaper versions of windows. I can get any version of windows 7 free at my school.

3. Bootsaregood thread starter macrumors newbie

CoD 4, maybe rift if things go well. I was surprised at how well it handled TF2, CS:S, and L4D2, and those are the only other main ones I'm concerned with running windows side at the moment.

I am enrolling into college in the fall, but looking at my schools computer store it seems they only carry windows 7 upgrades, which to me seems odd, but I guess I could give this a go? I know microsoft doesn't support XP to Windows 7 upgrades but I feel like I saw some workarounds before using a custom install? Thoughts?

4. SkaarjHunter macrumors newbie

Actually, Microsoft does support Windows XP to 7 upgrades. I've done it multiple times, but it has to be a 'custom install'.

5. Bootsaregood thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought I had heard. So I got a copy of 64 bit windows 7 from my computer store and went through the custom install process. After panicking for a minute when I thought I didn't have a CD key, I found it and everything seems to be running smoothly! Thanks to all for the help!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Glad it worked out for you.