Bootcamp, xp vs vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 30, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, so i have the iMac in my sig, and i plan to buy windows for it to play flight simulator X, but which should i get, vista or xp? which is better for gaming, and which would fsx run faster and better on? im planning on vista home basic, but should i go for XP? and would a 4 gig ram upgrade from 2 improve game performance by far?

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

XP is definitely more friendly for gaming as it takes less resources to run. If the game is Vista only though, then you'll have a problem.

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'm most definitely recommend XP at this point in time for playing any games. I've read reports that XP is about 10% faster than Vista, and when SP3 comes out for XP, it'll be even faster.

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

But won't there be service packs coming out for vista? and how about direct X 10? also, the requirement for ram for FSX on XP is 256MB, and vista 512MB, does thatt mean anything?

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you can't polish a turd.

stick with XP. it's better. even windows fanboys can tell you that.

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

7. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

they all seem the same!!! and for some reason, amazon is selling vista for cheaper, but their man price is the same.

So what if in the future vista will become MONSTROUS, as in fast, and capable of XP to the end, cuz im thinking about home basic, which does not have any aero to slow down my computer. Right now im just trying to make you guys tell me vista i guess. But again, is XP the DEFINATE way to go? vista will be terrible for eternity? i guess its too early to ask this question because im getting windows in the summer, and XP will have a service pack out, and if microsoft is in the right mind, vista will have one too.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I dont understand why people here always suggest XP. I used XP and Vista both, Vista is much better looking.

And most importantly, You have 2G memory! why buy an soon-to-be-unsported system?

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The Vista Aero is just a theme that you can turn on/off. Unlike in OS X where Aqua (or whatever its called these days) is the actual system face. Aero is a gimmick, just like if you installed Candy Bar for OS X and used some theme.

Ultimately I still think XP has better compatibility with accessories.

10. Mac.Jnr macrumors member

^It's not always about looks. When playing games it is proven that XP has better performance. Maybe when SP1 comes out it might improve but until then XP is the way to go.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

always look forward, DX10 is out, game producers will optimized for vista as well.

and he has 2G memory!, exactly how many games you guys can list that show significant different in performance?

Aero can be turned off is bad? how so? since when flexibility become a bad thing? And what do you exactly mean by OSX's "aqua"?