Bootcamp: "Your bootable USB drive could not be created"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NervousFish2, May 31, 2018.

1. NervousFish2 macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Gentle people,

I am getting this message, "Your bootable USB drive could not be created," when I try to set up a bootcamp installer, in Bootcamp Assistant.

I have a 2017 iMac "27 inch. I am using 32 gb USB 3.0 drive, formatted in MS-DOS (FAT) with a "Master Boot Record" scheme.

I understand (from various internet searches) that this message was common a few years ago, when people were working from CD installers. But I am working from an ISO downloaded directly from Microsoft. I did try an experiment, and I can get Parallels to install. But I do need Windows to boot in Bootcamp.

If anyone has any tips, I'd be grateful.

Also, I think this is my 100th MacRumors post! Woohoo!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Some ISOs work and others don't; I had one from MSDN and it wouldn't accept it. As far as I can tell you need to use a "normal" ISO if you aren't already.

3. NervousFish2 thread starter macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Thanks. So, this is the 64-bit one I downloaded from Microsoft's website, here... Should I have tried the 32-bit version?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Both versions should work, as far as I'm aware. In fact, I think on some machines you need the 64-bit version.

Those are normal ISOs so it's not the same problem that I ran into. Maybe Boot Camp needs an update to handle the 1804 version...

5. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

Definitely stick with 64-bit. 32-bit will cap memory usage to 4 GB.

If you can borrow someone's Windows PC for a moment, I'd suggest using Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation tool to make the USB installer instead of going the ISO route.

6. NervousFish2 thread starter macrumors regular

NervousFish2

Thanks. Will do!