Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rbaucke, Aug 8, 2011.

1. rbaucke macrumors newbie

I NEED HELP :(

I have been given a Macbook Pro that was running windows via bootcamp and was asked to reformat it and load it as a Mac using Mac OS x. Well until i had already reformatted the drives i hadn't realised i hadn't removed the bootcamp partition. So basically i have reloaded Mac OS X now but i can't work out how to remove the partition...... can anyone share any light on this?

thanks!!
    :rolleyes:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Open boot camp assistant and delete the windows partition with it.

On a side note, who the hell buys a mac to run strictly windows on it?

3. rbaucke thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh i know i have no idea why you would do that but it was done.....

When i open Bootcamp assistant it asks me to select continue from the introduction but when i do i get an error.....

The start up disk must be formatted as a single mac os extended volume already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing windows and the only option i get is ok and so i can't continue....

:confused:

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

hmmm.... i'm not 100% sure...

but i think you might have to boot up from a MAC OS X install disk then proceed to open disk utilities and format the drive to a single partition and reinstall everything.

i can't think of a mac app that will combine the partitions. (i know windows have a bunch)

5. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You can delete the bootcamp partition and resize the MacOSX partition without having to reinstall if I remember it correctly.

6. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

Ihad this problem when trying to delete a partition. Boot from into Disk Utiiltiy from the restore cd/dvd and Repair Disk.

Then go back into Bootcamp Assistant and you 'should' be able to delete the partition.

7. rbaucke thread starter macrumors newbie

So how might i do it? hehe i tried all the other options that everyone gave me... i repaired the disk and everything with no luck!

Thanks everyone for your help!! i will get there eventually :rolleyes:

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since you just go the computer, I suggest you boot of the OS X disk, completely wipe the drive, repartition it to a single Mac OS X Extended(Journaled) partition and reinstall OS X.

9. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i agree with you on this... on a normal case

however, the OP stated "When i open Bootcamp assistant it asks me to select continue from the introduction but when i do i get an error.....

The start up disk must be formatted as a single mac os extended volume already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing windows and the only option i get is ok and so i can't continue...."

i think the OP formatting the MAC OS partition before removing the WINDOWS partition through Boot Camp has caused the problem.

if he had removed the windows partition via Boot Camp before formatting Mac OS partition, I don't think he would have this problem. :(