bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by adamj575, Oct 17, 2011.

1. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

I have a 2010 macbook air 13...i want to put windows 7 on it via bootcamp and an external drive. The problem is that I have always used a win xp disc and then used my win 7 upgrade disc. But now, xp is no longer supported on macbook air....any suggestions as to how to get my upgrade disc to work?

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You can do a clean install Windows 7 with upgrade media as if it were the full thing. However, your problem comes up when you try to activate it. Here's the steps I use to activate Windows 7 that came on an upgrade disc that I have installed on my MacBook Pro and custom built desktop.

1. Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
    2. Change MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0". (Double-click it and then enter 0 in the dialog that appears.)
    3. Close RegEdit.
    4. Open the Start Menu again and type cmd in Start Menu search to display a shortcut to the Command Line utility. Right-click this shortcut and choose "Run as administrator." Handle the UAC prompt.
    5. In the command line window, type: slmgr /rearm
    6. Then tap ENTER and wait for the "Command completed successfully" dialog.
    7. Then, close the command line window and reboot. When Windows 7 reboots, run the Activate Windows utility, type in your product key and activate windows.
    8. If it works, you're all set. You're done. Congratulations.
    9. If this does not work, you can try two different things:
    10. First, ensure there are no pending Windows Updates to install. In my experience, some of these can cause this method to fail. Install them and reboot PC.
    11. Re-run the command line (with administrative privileges) noted above, reboot again, and re-attempt the activation.
    12. If that does not work, try the "double install" method.

This comes from the following website that I follow for Microsoft news. I saved the URL in case anyone else wanted to know :)

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

----------

Also, I've also come across the problem that the clocks go out of sync between Windows and Mac OS X when switching between the two OSes. Here's the fix I use to correct that problem.

1. First fire up Registry Editor by typing regedit.exe in Windows 7/Vista Search Bar. If you get a UAC prompt, hit 'Yes'
    2. Now Navigate to this key, to do so simply keep on double clicking the folders till you come across to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TimeZoneInformation
    3. Right click on the empty space right below ‘TimeZoneKeyName’ and create a new DWORD(32-bit). On 32-bit versions of Windows 7/Vista, you will only see DWORD
    4. Rename the new DWORD as “RealTimeIsUniversal” (without quotes and its case-sensitive)
    5. Double click on the new DWORD and change its value data “0″ (that’s a zero) to “1″ (one). It’s in hexadecimal
    6. Save it all. Reboot to Mac OS X, set the time properly and now boot back to Windows. You should notice the time should be the same as it was set in OS X.