bootcamp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by darknight*, Feb 1, 2012.

1. darknight* macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    i love my mac, and really don't want to put anything now concerned with windows on it,lol.
    but, i have a program or two that i really need and cant get for one reason or another on the mac, soooo if i use bootcamp to put a windows partition on to open these files and run them, am i going to get the usual Microsoft problems infecting my lovely mac, or not? also i see it says save everything first, how would i go about protecting all my stuff before using the bootcamp?
    sorry but still quite new to some aspects of macs :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't blame you! I feel the same way, and have been able to find Mac equivalents to all Windows apps I used to use.
    Which ones?
    If you're referring to Windows malware, none of it can run on Mac OS X or affect your Mac partition, unless you intentionally enable access, which would involve installing another 3rd party app to enable Windows to read/write to the Mac-formatted partition.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

3. darknight* thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the late reply and thanks, it was basically a cad program, machineshops, but im trying out draftsight now which seems ok :)