BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CHMK, Jul 26, 2013.

1. CHMK macrumors regular

im thinking of getting bootcamp to play some games as its the summer, but i wanted to know about the disadvantages first... i.e does it drain alot of battery? compatability issues? any abnormalities such as flickering, not being able to connect , open files etc? running a retina macbook pro

2. Zeov, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

1. Does it drain a lot of battery? Yes.

2. compatability issues? No.

3. any abnormalities such as flickering, not being able to connect , open files etc? Not that i'm aware of.

I have a few Retina Gaming related videos on my YouTube Channel, all played on BootCamp. You're welcome to have a look: http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeyZeov/videos

what i did was having around 300 GB of internal SSD for BootCamp and the games i play most often. And then i have a 2 TB USB 3 External Harddrive for mass storage.

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

The PRO's far out weigh any CON's. The few cons are you have to reboot into Windows and fact that you have to partition your drive and dedicate space to it. Other than that I don't think there are any other cons. How much space do you plan on partitioning for Windows?

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I do use bootcamp but not a huge fan of it.

It does drain more battery.
    You cant edit the size of space once you partition it.
    If you are thinking about CPU/GPU intensive game, don't get high expectations.

The trick is the partition.
    From your sig, it seems like you only have 256GB SSD.
    Now Windows requires around 10GB of storage in first place so if you make 50GB partition,
    all you can actually use is around 40GB.

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

What's the absolute minimum you would recommend for the partition size? Let's say I will only use Windows for gaming and have 1-2 games installed at any given time.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Depends on what kind on game.
    Some games are only 1GB or some may go up to 30GB.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I recently installed Windows 8 (which is horrid btw, but that's my opinion) via BootCamp to play Halo: Spartan Assault.

The install + bootcamp drivers took up like 18GB, which I felt was absurd. I only partitioned 35GB or so, so that only leaves me ~17GB for games (not that I plan on particularly installing more, but I had assumed install + drivers would be less than 10GB).

8. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

There are some quirks with BootCamp for example heat issues and issue with video card being stuck on full throttle sometimes. The way I found to fix it was to disable it on the Device Manager and re enable it. Battery life not being as good as Mac OS because Apple refuses to release better drivers.

9. CHMK thread starter macrumors regular

its fine... batman arkham city and assasssins creed brotherhood will tide me over till ps4 comes out. thanks for the replies though

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It does for reasons already covered above but if you're Boot Camping to play a resource intensive game then you should be plugging in.

Boot Camp wouldn't be of much use if these were major issues with it.

11. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Rather then start a new thread. I will post my bootcamp question here.

Which version of Windows 7 64-bit fits my criteria best?

-Takes up least amount of disk space on the partition.

-Good enough for gaming only, will not use Windows for anything else.

Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.