Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Rad, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rad macrumors regular

Anyone have information regarding the nMP and Bootcamp, specifically can Windows 8 be run natively from an external Thunderbolt drive? I would not want to partition my single internal drive just to run Windows natively.

2. wheelhot macrumors 68020

If I'm not mistaken, bootcamp install doesn't allow windows to be installed to an external drive, regardless if it's a MacPro, iMac or any Mac.

I'm curious about the FirePro GPU drivers for windows, I hope it'll be optimized for OpenGL softwares; 3D CAD

3. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

Yeah i wasn't able to install bootcamp on an external it has to be the main hd

4. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Did you try this on the nMP? Or are you talking about one of the cheese grater models? There is a difference in how the OS treats thunderbolt connected drives...

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can install it to an partition on your main hdd, then use Winclone to copy and restore it to an external drive. This has been confirmed to work on these forums.

6. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

You can install boot camp in TB device, not USB.

Step 1: Use boot camp to install Windows 7 x64 on your internal drive (this is what I used, I’m sure Windows 8 x64 will work).

Step 2: Complete installing boot camp drivers and apply software updates. Ensure Thunderbolt is functional.*

Step 3: Install and use Winclone*on your Mac to make a backup image of the Bootcamp Partition.*

Step 4: Once you’ve made the backup image, restore that image to your External Thunderbolt drive (I’ve read that firewire 800 may work, I haven’t tried this). When asked if you want to replace the BCD file, yes- you want to do that. DO NOT REBOOT until disconnecting the external Thunderbolt drive.*

Step 5: Restart after disconnecting the destination drive from step 4.

Step 6:* Use the boot camp utility to delete the Windows partition and reclaim the space.*CAUTION! This step will destroy your Windows boot camp installation, but hey- at this point you should have the image backed up with Winclone.

Step 7: Connect the external Thunderbolt drive and restart holding option. Select Windows 7 boot camp.

7. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

or you could simply install normally from the win8 disc to the external disk and install the downloaded bootcamp drivers... The Bootcamp assistant is not needed.

8. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I am highly interested in this as well.