Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jul 24, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I was wondering about bootcamp...can having this on your computer slow it down at all on the mac part. I know the more you use XP the slower it gets...but does that slowness carry over when you boot up to the mac OS?

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Nope, Windows is completely isolated from OS X because it's on a separate partition.

3. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still confused about one thing. Would you have to wipe your drive completley to put bootcamp on it...cause when you save things its spreads over the whole drive, unless its perfectly unfragmented...which I've never seen a windows PC do (never had a mac). And if I do have to wipe it, how do I get all the programs and OS back on?

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

When you save work it doesn't save it across the entire physical drive, only across the partition. Bootcamp can actively make a partition without requiring you to wipe the hard drive completely. It just neatly splits it into two partitions, leaving your OS X partition intact.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm not going to say this is always the case, but typically no, if you have a second partition for Windows and need to delete the partition, typically OS X can just get this space back on its own. The thing is, sometimes, it can't re-partition. I had this happen personally, and I just reformated and started from scratch. I was happier that way anyway.

6. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502