Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by carcass29, Mar 4, 2008.

1. carcass29 macrumors newbie

ok, so i have my Macbook Pro now and I want to try running Vista on my mac via bootcamp (just to use some of my pc apps).... key is, I don't want to purchase a copy of Vista since I have another laptop that has Vista installed and serial#. So my question is is it possible to burn a dvd of my Vista OS to use as a bootable cd for Bootcamp? any links on how to do so would be great....thanks again :apple:

2. Heston macrumors regular

Is the Vista installed a copy you bought or did it come preinstalled?

3. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

came pre installed...looking to rip it and make iso(bootable disc) for bootcamp

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

That's illegal. Vista was only licensed to the machine that it came pre-installed on.

5. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. valvehead macrumors regular

OK, you've already spent more than $2000 on your MBP. Another $100 to $170 for an OEM version of Vista is not going to kill you.

I'm using an OEM XP Pro that cost $140. I have spent more than 15x that much on the software I use. The OS is pennies in comparison.

I understand if you just want to test it out. With XP you could test it for 30 days without activation. I don't know if that's possible with Vista. It most likely is not possible with a disc that comes a prebuilt machine. It's customized for that machine, and (as noted) is illegal to install on another computer.

7. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah not really wanting to spend more....I've already spent $7000 on recording software for pc that's pretty much useless(plugins) ...just looking to cut a few corners...thanks anyway.

8. landis macrumors regular

call microsoft, tell them that your computer crashed running windows - they'll understand!! - and then say you cant reinstall because the serial number can not be used twice. then ask for a new serial number.

i know many people that this has worked for, some of them were actually windows users with a dead computer!

9. carcass29 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...I think they actually have a free microsoft/vista download since most pc's don't come with a backup disc's anymore(it's booted from the drive)...the only part I don't understand is burning it from an iso image file to a bootable disc that will work in bootcamp.

10. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

That's called fraud.

11. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Only Dell and Toshiba actually gives you a backup disc which is a bootable, installable OS CD. With any other company you will need to get a new disc. However, it would be hard to find a way to legally justify what you are doing even to get the cd.