Bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lizabet623, Feb 4, 2009.

1. lizabet623 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I am new to MAC and love it! Have questions about Bootcamp and am hoping I am posting this in the right spot.

Hubby has now decided to switch to a MAC but he has a couple of windows based programs that he needs to run, he will not use the windows side for e-mail or internet.

From my research it seems like you need Windows XP with service pack 2 already installed to use bootcamp, is this correct? If so I am having difficulty finding this inexpensively since we rather put the money into the computer rather than XP.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're correct in that your Windows XP installation disk must be at least SP 2. It must also be a full install disk, not an "upgrade" disk.

If you qualify, you might be able to get a copy of Windows at a student discount, or you could look into getting an OEM copy (typically you would need to buy some computer hardware at the same time, but that depends on the vendor).

Be forewarned that XP might be in short supply in stores. I had heard that Microsoft was no longer providing it to vendors, but I can't verify this.

3. lizabet623 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that was quick:)