Bootcamped.. use windows graphics card ONLY in windows.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdschwendener, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sdschwendener macrumors regular

I have this sapphire x1950 that I wanted to use for gaming. I was pretty certain I could set it up so that when I boot into vista I could use it just fine. With both cards in (stock nvidia 7300 and ati x1950) os x boots fine to normal resolution and what not.. but Vista boots up all ****** with a decreased to 1280 something resolution and wont properly recognize card.. something about the two cards conflicting and can only use that one resolution. I tried to install an update it told me it needed.. when I did so the screen flashed and I was dropped into 4 bit colors.. WTF. Anyway I unplugged power to my x1950 and its back to regular res and color.

Does anyone know how I can boot into vista and have it not detect or use my nvidia card but rather just use my ATI radeon?

Please help me if you want screen shots or error info I'll try and get it done.

2. sdschwendener thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried messing around a lot and I still cannot get this to work.. Has anyone done so and could instruct me how to get this to work?

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Don't quote me on this, but that doesn't seem like it's possible. Then again, I don't know much about the Mac Pro, or Windows for that matter. It's just my educated guess.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You could always just disable the Geforce 7300GT in the Hardware Manager (if it is still present in Windows Vista) and see if that solves the problem.

Otherwise I cannot see why it should not be possible to use both cards in Windows Vista.

5. damado macrumors 6502

Could be a driver issue. I tried that a long time ago on an XP box...having an nvidia and ATi card in at the same time. Windows flipped out b/c it couldn't load both drivers at the same time. I could have been doing something wrong tho.

6. Tracer macrumors 6502

What the guy above said.

Mixing Nvidia and ATI Graphics in Windows is a Big No-No.

If you sell the X1950 you could get the X1900XT and Flash it to work with both OS's.

Tracer

7. absolution macrumors member

By that same logic, if I purchase a Mac Pro with an ATI 1900 installed and then bought and installed a new ATI DX10 card, like the 2600 or the 2900, and installed it it would work when I booted into Windows?

8. Cuyahoga macrumors member

Cuyahoga

I'd also like to add to that: How about a 7300GT for OSX & an 8800GTX (or any other nVidia card) for Windows. I'd just hate to exchange the graphics card every time I wanted to play a game in Windows.

9. CatharticFlux macrumors member

This is the setup I'd like to have, I'd love to hear the result of this.

10. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I don't know if this will work but what abut deleting the driver in BC windows and getting the driver for the DX10 card you want to use? Also in Device Manager (windows) can't you select "enable" or "use this device" with a little check box? just bounceing some ideas.