Bootcamped Windows limitations?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kot, Jan 6, 2015.

1. kot macrumors regular

I am considering installing Windows on my MacBook Pro 8,2 to be my primary OS as I need certain software for my work and I don't like to emulate.

However I read somewhere some time ago that bootcamped Windows is a bad idea on a Macbook Pro because as I'm told Apple supplies inferior and outdated windows drivers, certain hardware features do not work (GPU switching) or work unreliably, battery life is bad, the trackpad's sensitivity is much worse and generally I am recommended to buy a dedicated Windows laptop.

So I haven't been able to find real answers on the web so I am asking those of you who use Windows via the Boot Camp, what limitations are there compared to a native Windows laptop.

My OS X is 10.10.1 Yosemite.

Thanks!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Boot Camp is fine for occasional Windows usage, but it's not a good idea as a primary operating system. I'm going to copy and paste a couple posts from another forum that put finer points on why:

The above is something I wrote.

The source for this post is here.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Boot Camp gives you bare metal performance which is fantastic. I find the trackpad to be fantastic but definitely less accurate than under OS X. That being said it is still leaps and bounds better than most Windows laptops trackpads and I have no issues using it. All of the features like the backlit keyboard work without issue. The battery life will be decreased due to not using the energy efficient technology in OS X.

In summary, Boot Camp allows Windows to be a fine OS for the Mac. You do need to understand though that Windows will not have the tight integration with the hardware like OS X does.

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I am not sure why you feel that way. I have several Virtual Machines that run some pretty heavy compute software. They have been running for several years now, and I have never had an issue.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to disagree with you on that, true the heat throttling is less then in OSX but running windows as your primary OS is fine and has no adverse affects (other then perhaps poorer battery performance and heat).

I've seen many folks here run windows as their only OS, there's nothing wrong in doing so.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Those two adverse effects you mentioned are pretty big ones when you're on a laptop, not to mention the far inferior trackpad performance in Windows.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think so, I watched the heat on my MBP and its no where near any sort of danger zone. I avoid the trackpad and use a portable mouse so again those issues imo are not show stoppers.

I've seen a lot of threads about MBPs getting hot in the MBP forum (mine doesn't), so I don't see too much difference if the MBP gets overly warm under OS X or windows.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My Mac does not get much warmer in Windows than it does in OS X.

9. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

The old Connectix Virtual PC was emulation.

Parallels and VMWare are virtualisation

Emulation is paralytically slow.

Virtualisation is as fast as Bootcamp for most practical purposes, not for serious gaming.