Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoLiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Canada
So I just replaced my old antique with a new 2010 15" Core I7 MBP with 8gb of ram and I'm in the process of swapping the internal drive with a 250g SSD. (Using externals for media storage)

Once that's finished I'll be using Bootcamp to install Win7 for gaming purposes only. Of the 250g drive, how much should I partition off for Windows? I was thinking of 100g, but that might be far more than I need to and I'd hate to waste the storage capacity on Windows which I'll never be using for anything other than a few games. My sense of proportion is non-existant so I'm at a total loss.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
So I just replaced my old antique with a new 2010 15" Core I7 MBP with 8gb of ram and I'm in the process of swapping the internal drive with a 250g SSD. (Using externals for media storage)

Once that's finished I'll be using Bootcamp to install Win7 for gaming purposes only. Of the 250g drive, how much should I partition off for Windows? I was thinking of 100g, but that might be far more than I need to and I'd hate to waste the storage capacity on Windows which I'll never be using for anything other than a few games. My sense of proportion is non-existant so I'm at a total loss.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If your on a SSD you'll need to kill of the Pagefile and Hibernation files... Once you've done that Windows has a very small foot print. I think it will be around 8-10GB or so.
It's been a while since I installed a fresh copy as I use and image with key thing pre-installed so can't say for sure.

To be safe and to cover any system restore points (you can kill them off as well) Give it 15GB or so + What ever you need for your games.

If you give us a list of games you want to install I'll have a look for there install sizes.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I've given Windows 7 100GB of my 250GB on my MacBook Pro.

When looking in My Computer, I have used 30GB of that space. That consists of;
all of the Windows patches,
iTunes,
Office 2010 (Word, Excel & PowerPoint),
Safari,

I have no music or photos kept on my laptop. I have 353MB of documents for university and 1GB taken up by Windows 98 in a virtual hard disk, as well as, having a 4GB hibernation file and 5GB dedicated for system restore points.

I hope this helps giving you a better understanding on what kind of partition size you want. :)

MoLiva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Canada
Thanks, that is quite helpful.

To answer the questions:

No applications will be loaded on windows besides games and an anti-virus. I use OSX for everything else and any games that do work for Mac will be installed in OSX as well.

Games I will be installing in Windows:
Oblivion Game of the Year Edition
Fallout New Vegas (when it releases)
Dawn of War 2
Heroes of Might and Magic V
Star Wars: The Old Republic (when it releases)
There may be others down the road, but these are the only ones for the time being.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Man, I hope Fallout: New Vegas will be good on PC. I've have been bitten by some pretty nasty bugs on Fallout 3 to the point where I lost a load of progress due to a bug that was triggered after I saved so I couldn't get past a certain point during a quest. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.