Bootcamping with OEM or Upgrade versions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ConnorTurnbull, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Just wondering, can I Bootcamp using a copy of Windows 7 that's either OEM or Upgrade (preferably, OEM)? I would only be using it on a single 2011 Mac Mini.

Cheers

2. TheZA macrumors regular

Yes you can. I've been using an OEM Windows7 via Bootcamp and it works fine. I purchased my OEM version from NewEgg.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. MJL macrumors 6502a

I do not know if this is legal: You can ask you local system builder to supply you a Mac and a Windows OEM version in one trade. (I did not see that the system builder has to install Windows OEM, might be wrong)

A Mac is the best windows machine. ;)

One small issue with the Mac Mini: there is no decent place to put the license sticker (it won't last long if on the bottom besides that is removeable so not really the proper place)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can read the licenses for yourself and decide if what you want to do is compliant with either the letter or the spirit of the agreement.

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Public/sblicense/2008_SB_Licenses/FY08_SB_License_English.pdf

As I read it, the only licensed (I won't say "legal" because that is a whole different kettle of fish) use of the OEM Windows discs is when resold to an unrelated third party, pre-installed using the OPK (i.e. by a registered system builder) as part of a complete customer system. However, IANAL and YMMV. Read and decide for yourself. It will work.

At one point MacMall was selling Macs with XP pre-installed, but as far as I can tell no-one else has done so recently.

B

6. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Currently doing this on my desktop Hackintosh. So, yes.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:p Another instance where "working"/"licensed"/"legal"/"valid" may or not intersect.

Maybe we need a Hackintosh-like term for OEM/upgrade installs of questionable validity.

B

8. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Haha, i know..I'm bad - but, the machine is oh-so-gooood..

9. MJL macrumors 6502a

OS X newby license question

Windows gets licensed for the computer and has some activation code that gets send to M$N. As such it is no surprise that WIndows cannot be installed on an external HDD.

OS X can be installed on an external HDD. (hurray!) However if I have a Mac Mini and install the (Mac Mini specific) OS X on an external HDD can I then use a MacBook Pro to boot of this external HDD or does the OS X then have to be installed with the MacBook Pro OS X?

Or do I need to install the OS X with the retail version of OS X (Snow Leopard in this case) in order to be able to boot different Mac's of the same external HDD installation?

Has anyone tried / done this; I want to know this for fast recovery options.

Many thanks in advance.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not really Windows on the Mac, but ...

OS X is kind of in-between Windows (tied to hardware) and Linux (pretty free of hardware).

In general as long as you are using a version of OS X that was released after your hardware it should boot OK from an external.

Exceptions apply of course, such as all the folks running 10.6 on their 2011 Mac minis, because the hardware was supported for other Macs...

B

11. MJL macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I did order the retail version of Snow Leopard so it can in due time be installed for another machine should the need arise. Until that time it will sit in its shrink wrapping - there will come a day that people require it and can no longer get it. (and still need to be legal). Finally today my redeem code for Lion came through (after applying on the day Lion came out) and I am now burning it to DVD before installing it onto a fresh SL install. (don't want to loose some preinstalled applications) As soon as it is installed I'll download the Bootcamp 4.0 and will el prompto revert to windows 7 and check the drivers for potential upgrades.