Bootchamp by Kainjow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enigmafan420, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I am having trouble with Bootchamp on my new MB-I use it ALL THE TIME on my mini and it is fine.

However, on the MB, when it restarts, it restarts into OS-X, not windows.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

System Preferences -> Startup Disk

And then hold down Option during startup to boot the other OS.

3. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Yeah I understand that-BOOTCHAMP is an alternative to that. It works like the bootcamp assistant does in windows-it puts an Icon near the time in the upper left corner. When you click the Icon, it allows you to reboot into windows without going through all the hoops you just mentioned.

It actually is SLICK-when it works, and I am using it on 2 minis in my house and it works great-but for whatever reason, it isn't working on the new MB.

See http://www.kainjow.com/ for more details. A great little program-just wish I could get it to work on the MB.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Me, I just take the simple approach.

Since I usually use Mac OS X and Windows XP via Parallels/VMware, I use the Mac OS as the default boot OS. So if I start or restart my Mac it goes into Mac OS X by default.

Then if I want to boot into Windows, I just hold down the OPTION key and select from there. When I restart, it goes back into the Mac OS.

This works for me and does not require any added software.

YMMV.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It might be worth PMing kainjow and inviting him to this thread.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Is your MB a MacBook Air? I think the app doesn't work on MBA's properly and if you have the brand new MB it might behave similarly (something to do with the firmware).

Anyways I have a newer beta version I haven't got around to releasing yet which you can try here. I'm not sure if it fixes the issue though.
    http://www.kainjow.com/downloads/beta/BootChamp_.zip

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that's great service and support! :)

8. Enigmafan420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

No it is one of the new Alum MB (2.4 model).

I will try the beta and report back-THANKS!

The beta still boots me to OS-X :(

I appreciate the link to the new version though-COOL icon :)

9. b5lurker macrumors newbie

Just tried this beta on my Macbook Pro and it is not working on it either. Would love to have this working again on MBP, so let me know if you would like me to test any new betas you have of BootChamp.

Steve

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I haven't personally tested this on SL yet, but I just got a report that it's causing a kernel panic, so don't use it. I believe the reason comes from using an old method for running a process as root which SL has mostly removed. So it's not an easy fix but I will work on it when I can.

I did test on beta builds but it still wasn't working for the latest unibody MacBooks and Pros. I doubt it's fixed in the final build but I'll post an update on what I find.

Edit: I think that kernel panic was unrelated since I tested it and didn't get it.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think the issue with the system not temporarily booting into Windows on certain machines (mainly C2D unibody MBPs) has been fixed in 10.6.3. I can no longer reproduce the problem. Can anyone else confirm? With BootChamp 1.1: make sure "Next restart only" is checked and System Preferences shows your Mac OS X volume as the startup disk, then use BootChamp to Restart into Windows. If it goes into Windows, it's working.

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I just uploaded version 1.2 which now only requires the admin password once. A good amount of the app's code was reworked to implement this, so let me know if it's not working or is buggy. I also added back support for 10.5 although this is completely untested.

Download:
    http://www.kainjow.com/downloads/BootChamp.zip

The built-in help file contains more details on what's changed.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89