Bootchamp not working in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Shivetya, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

anyone know a good alternative or something I can do to fix it?

Just in case you don't know, Bootchamp allows you to tell your mac to boot into Windows with a simple click

2. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

3. cuestakid macrumors 68000

what is the problem? Can you not see the partition? Drivers not installing?

If you can provide us with some more information we could help.

4. Rama26285 macrumors newbie

Shamless bump.

I've got the same problem and it was a very useful tool before I upgraded to Lion.

The problem I have is I click "restart in windows" and it goes to restart and closes everything and goes to the white screen, but never restarts and just has a spinning circle (not the rainbow one) forever and never does anything.

Here's hoping for an update or an alternative!

5. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

6. Rama26285 macrumors newbie

I've emailed the guy, so I'll let you all know if I get a reply.

In the meantime, if there's any real techy guys out there, do us a favour :D

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'm the dev. Is this what's happening for everyone else? I don't plan on upgrading to Lion until later, but I'll try to look into it and see what's the problem.

In the meantime, there are some alternatives mentioned on the MacUpdate page but I haven't used any recently and don't know if they're Lion compatible too.

I'm kind of surprised this isn't working. If this white screen affect is happening for others, this sounds like an OS bug. All BootChamp does is set the startup disk temporarily using the 'bless' command-line program.

I've heard other reports of BootChamp working successfully, and another of it not working with Resume.

Thanks all, I'll try to get a 10.7 system setup and do some testing soon. Any other feedback is appreciated.

8. siorai macrumors 6502

BootChamp works fine here. I've got an early 08 Mac Pro that was previously a clean install of Snow Leopard, fully upgraded previous to Lion, then upgraded, not a clean install of Lion.

Awesome app by the way kainjow. Apple should really give you a big bucket of cash and include this functionality in the OS when Bootcamp is installed.

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Just tested it out finally, using build 11A511. Didn't encounter any problems.

Anyone else still having issues? Make sure your Windows volume is mounted. You can use Disk Utility to mount it. Otherwise BootChamp won't see it and the "Restart into Windows" menu will be disabled.

10. ctbear macrumors 6502a

11. milaround macrumors member

milaround

Kainjow, thanks for bootchamp. It's a cool app, but does suffer from compatibility issues with Lion. Many users of external boot managers such as rEFIt and bootchamp have experienced issues with being unable to adjust screen brightness in Windows. There are a few forums out there with users reporting the issue. I suspect it has to do with how the boot initialization has changed between 10.6 and 10.7.

I can reliably reproduce the issue:
    bootchamp to win7 > no brightness controls.
    Option key boot to win7 > everything functions properly.

Let me know if I can provide some diagnostic info if it's helpful. I would love to be able to use bootchamp again. Thanks!

12. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I can only see that being Apple's bug. All BootChamp does is call /usr/sbin/bless, Apple's built-in tool for managing startup disk options.

FWIW, back around 10.6.3 or so there were certain machines that would fail to work properly with one of bless' options that BootChamp relied on. The bug was eventually fixed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more bugs in 10.7 concerning bootability.

If others are seeing these issues, maybe you could state what machines you're seeing it on to see if we can find a pattern.

Has anyone reported the bug to Apple via http://bugreport.apple.com?

13. shinji257 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use this application and it doesn't seem to be working at all for me. I'm on a 2011 Mac Mini running 10.7.2 Lion and Windows 7 on bootcamp and the application opens but then gets stuck without prompting to authenticate. I actually have to quit the application via the activity monitor for it to close at all. I did rename the bootcamp partition to "Windows HD" when I was in Windows if that makes any difference.

14. shinji257 macrumors newbie

15. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

See if this file exists, and if it does, delete it and try again:

/Library/Application Support/BootChamp/BOHelper

16. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Works just great kainjow in Lion OS X.7.3 Build 11D50.

What I personally like is the simple 'restart' and boots straight into Lion with no fuss. Still changes the clock. At 3.12pm AESDT changes to 2.12AM tomorrow's date.

Any suggestions?

17. bruceleeroy macrumors member

I am getting a odd error with bootchamp.
    I am using OS Lion and when I go to System Restart its says:
    "BootChamp was unable to set your Windows volume as the temporary startup disk Authentication may have failed."

So I delete the BOHelper file and then it makes me authenticate and seems to be working but then I get the error:

"BootChamp was unable to set your Windows volume as the temporary startup disk Bless Failed."

Any ideas?