Bootime 10 minutes for maverick

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xxlwd, Aug 13, 2014.

1. xxlwd macrumors newbie

After buying a new macbook pro and installing it with timemachine everything runs fine with the exeption bootime takes minutes 5-10 . A lot of things already exercised, smc new install etc nothing helps. What is the reason? Must be some timeout the boot is waiting for...

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Reboot and hold Cmd-V at the chime to get into verbose mode. If it freezes up at a certain point then take a picture of the screen and post it here.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If it is new and you have access to an Apple store you are best taking it there. If you have done a reinstall then it is quite likely there is a hardware issue.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10 minutes is way too long.

Do a fresh install, don't restore anything for TM and then see if the issue returns. I'm willing to bet that something in your backup is the cause. If you do a clean install and it still occurs, then take it back to apple to exchange but I'm very sure its the restore that caused it.

5. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

As a reference, my brand new MacBook pro using Time Machine boots up in 9 seconds after logging in. Yours should be about the same

6. Giev macrumors member

Do you any other hard disk plugged in? MaCOS gets sometime confused when there is another Mac OS Extended filesystem hard disk present at startup... and it takes alot for timeout to be reached.

If there is only one hard disk present (assuming a reinstall) I would take it to Apple.

7. xxlwd thread starter macrumors newbie

Bring it apple, with my sensitive data on it? How can I clean the disk in advance?

8. lysola macrumors member

Are you worried about them seeing something private or just losing files? If it's the former, you shouldn't be worried because I highly doubt that anyone at the Apple store cares what's on your computer, nor is it in their best interest to be snooping around. Unless you have some messed up stuff on there that you shouldn't have...

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Make sure you have a good Time Machine backup. Boot to Recovery partition and reinstall the OS. Check that the boot time is around 20 seconds or less. If it is still many minutes....take it to Apple.

If boot is normal and only takes a few seconds, restore your data from the last Time Machine backup. Then check the boot time.

10. xxlwd thread starter macrumors newbie

Here the verbose screenshot attached...Here it hangs in the last line....for about 5 or 7 minutes....

11. romesk90 macrumors member

your timemachine backup is probably bad.

Reformat and do not put anything on it. Hows the bootime?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It looks like you forgot to attach the file.