booting 10.4 install disk in a imac 400

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coffey7, Aug 16, 2007.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

When I put the 10.4 install disk into the imac I get many error messages.
    Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E0bF4): unable to find driver for this platform: "powermac 2,1"
    no debugger configured - dumping debug info
    MSR= 00001030

kernal version:
    darwin kernal version 8.6.2: thu apr 13
    panic: we are hanging here...

It says a few things in bettween but it was not panic info.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Where did you get the discs? It sounds like it's an install disc for a different type of machine. You need either Apple's install discs for your model of machine or generic retail discs. Do you have either of those?

3. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

A friend of mine had the disk from his macbook. He didn't need the disk anymore(since his mac was stolen). Ok, so I need to have a disk from that model or a generic one? I am going to try to find a install disk with the same OS number that came with it. Will any install disk from a 400 series imac work?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Right, your friend's disc won't work on your computer. Since you're trying to install Tiger on a machine that never shipped with it, machine install/restore discs won't help really help you. You need a retail version of Tiger, which you can buy from Apple or on eBay.

Tough to tell, since the text on the disc that would give you a hint is cut off in his photos. :rolleyes: But even so, those discs will only give you OS 9. If you want Tiger, just get the retail Tiger disc.

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

6. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Would I be able to find a retail disk that is not tiger for this mac?

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You can put panther on it

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You should be able to find retail discs for just about every version of OS X up to and including Tiger on eBay. Any of them should install on your iMac. Just make sure that it's a full retail version and not an install disc for a specific model.

9. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I forgot to tell you guys the great news. These 2 imacs I picked up both have dvd drives and have in them 1 512 stick of kingston ram and 1 apple 128 sitck of ram. I think if 1 gb will work in one of them I might try tiger on that one and install an old version on the other.

Will a brand new seagate 160gb harddrive work in these machines?

Thanks for all your help.