Booting a Live CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonathanTT, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JonathanTT macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I just installed a Crucial m4 SSD and put my HDD in an optibay in the DVD place.
    Everything works great but I want to update the firmware. I downloaded the ISO file and burned that. Restarted the MacBook and kept pressing the alt-key until I could choose to boot from CD.
    The CD spins up and I get to see the crucial picture but when it says "loading boot....img" it stops and doesn't do anything so I always have to shut down the power.
    I then thought it might be a good idea to create a small partition on the HDD from which I could boot. But it's the same thing with a GParted LiveCD. I get to see the initial screen and then nothing happens and I have to restart the computer manually.
    Is it possible, that a MacBook Pro can't properly boot from its SuperDrive when conected via USB?
    Or whatelse am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!

2. JonathanTT thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I figured it out. I put the SuperDrive back in its place and using the exact same CD it boots perfectly and the firmware update is done in a few secconds.
    It really seems, the MacBook Pro can't boot from an external connected SuperDrive properly. At least not from this one: http://hardwrk.com/usb-superdrive-gehaeuse.html