Booting a PowerBook G4 ???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by romariocu, Sep 19, 2008.

1. romariocu macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Cus I got good friends some one gift me a PowerBook G4...

Well the HD was broken so I make the change for a new one of 60GB... I dont if it´s formated or not... but MAC format... sure not!

I dont have OS X now.. so I´triying to install some Ubuntu for MAC or something that could be installed if is posible to do it by USB... I need this cus I´m felling that DVD do not work properly... or do not reconieze any this to boot that I use...

Is some software or free operatin system that could be burned of load by USB to boot this MAC and test that HD is OK and DVD driver???

Thanks!!!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

If you plan on getting OS X anyway just go run out and grab a leopard disk. It'll have all the utilities you need.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

PowerBooks can only boot from Firewire (not USB) so if you want to test your hard drive, you're going to need to get an Ubuntu install onto a FW hard drive, or you're going to need to boot your OS X DVDs; a final option is to get a LiveCD distro of Linux you can boot from CD.

4. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

actually you can boot from usb, the easiest and most sensible option is to go and get some install disks (tiger would be better for this pooter than leopard!)

5. romariocu thread starter macrumors newbie

"maybe" not sure at all... DVD is not going well...

In any case, some can post the correct link to download a Ubuntu image for PowerBook... it´s not a problem to burn it from PC???

2. If DVD is not reading disk well... what other options I got to start up my PowerBook???

THANKS!!!