Booting a PPC iBook G4 using a GUID Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beach, Oct 28, 2007.

1. beach macrumors newbie

The DVD drive on my wife's iBook G4 won't allow a disk to be inserted (there is something blocking the slot that will not allow a complete insertion) and I wanted to install Leopard on the drive. So I put the G4 in target mode, hooked it to my MacBook Pro via firewire and booted the MBP from the install DVD. Of course the iBook is partitioned APM and it wouldn't install. Not understanding these things, I reformatted the iBook drive to GUID and did the install. While waiting for the install, I surfed on my kids PC to learn about APM and GUID (I know I should have done that before the install) and I learned that a PPC needs to be APM to boot. So I figure I'm screwed but let the install complete anyway.

Guess what? It boots up on the PPC iBook using a GUID partitioned drive. On startup, the iBook displays a small folder, ala Classic style, with a question mark in it. Then it quickly changes to the mac happy face and proceed to start up normally. It seems to be running fine. I have rebooted it several times and with the exception of the little folder thingy it starts every time.

My question is: Is this disk stable long term? Software installed just fine (from disc images created on the MBP and copied to a USB drive, pain not to have the DVD drive) as did Software Updates.

Am I in for trouble down the line?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

This is very interesting.
    Perhaps this is due to the new Leopard bootloader being able to support both PPC and Intel Macs? Hmm, however I thought it was Open Firmware that couldn't understand GUID though, so how the heck is it able to start the bootloader?

What's also interesting is that installing from an Intel to a PPC Mac still allows the OS to function once booted under PPC. This confirms that Leopard is always running fat binaries and is platform agnostic, cool.
    More testing needed I think though :)