Booting Chrome OS on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bob616, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

Is there any way to boot chrome os from a usb on a intel mac?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

thermodynamic: I am not sure where you get the idea that Google is going to be making a lot of money selling Chromium. Instead they will be gaining some advantage only by pushing people (slightly) towards their online servies (free) which will net them some more advertising impressions. This is not a hugely negative thing they are doing.

But that being said, besides putting it on a USB stick and trying (I would be unsurprised if it did not work) there is really not much more to be said about this. The OS is more than a year away from being production, and is not going to be at all tuned to Apple hardware (unlike MacOS X).

If you want to play around with it durring its infancy, then a better option is to download VirtualBox and then google for one of the tutorials on setting up Chromium in that. Since Chromium is designed to run on essentially NetBooks the performance (even in virtualization) should be fine.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's open source. Therefore you are welcome to sell it, however you have to share that code with anyone who wants it. Including Google.

5. screwfilms macrumors newbie

Why would you? What kind of question is that?

Why wouldn't you?

IS there a way to make a bootable Live USB of Chrome OS? I certainly hope so. I've been trying all night, so I can securely surf the web whenever I'm in a situation where I have access to a computer that's not mine (School, Work, etc.)

Anyone been able to get it to work?

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Unless your are dead set on using Chrome OS, there are several "Live CD" versions of linux that you could use for this.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I recommend this: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

The gui is almost exact as Chrome OS except it's more orange.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I downloaded and booted chrome inside virtualbox. That's as far as I wanted to go with it. It was basically a really slow browser. I created a gmail account just for testing the thing because I didn't want to run the risk of having the thing somehow screw up my "real" profile.

I wouldn't mind booting chrome on a netbook, or taking a peek at Chrome inside a virtualbox on my Mac, but I have no desire to replace OS X with what amounts to a browser calling itself an OS.